The August 6 PDB. Washington Post: "The classified briefing delivered to President Bush five weeks before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks featured information about ongoing al Qaeda activities within the United States, including signs of a terror support network, indications of hijacking preparations and plans for domestic attacks using explosives, according to sources who have seen the document and a review of official accounts and media reports over the past two years." ... New York Times: "President Bush was told more than a month before the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that supporters of Osama bin Laden planned an attack within the United States with explosives and wanted to hijack airplanes, a government official said Friday.
If you've been paying attention, this ain't news. Way back on May 19, 2002: "The top-secret briefing memo presented to President Bush on Aug. 6 carried the headline, 'Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US,' and was primarily focused on recounting al Qaeda's past efforts to attack and infiltrate the United States, senior administration officials said."
So we see the media reported on this almost 2 years ago, but then promptly ignored it or "forgot" it existed -- one quick mention and then own the meory hole -- covering up for the Bush administration as long as they could. ... Damn liberal media.
The evolution of this document has been fascinating.
1. White House says the document is so sensitive that even the Congressional Joint Inquiry into 9/11 cannot see it.
2. White House refuses to allow the 9/11 Commission to see it.
3. White House agrees to let two members of Commission see it at the White House.
4. White House agrees to let all 10 members of Commission see it.
5. White House refuses to declassify PDB.
6. White House agrees to declassify PDB.
7. White House may release parts of the memo publicly.
And these guys accuse Kerry of flip-flopping?