May 23, 2004

Various Sunday Things. Jody Reed and Tony Gwynn recall Pedro Martinez's start on June 3, 1995, when he retired the first 27 Padres he faced. ... Pedro altered his pregame routine and threw in the outfield more than a half-hour before his scheduled first pitch. That allowed him to reach 90 miles per hour in the first inning; he hit 92 in the third inning. ... Martinez's seven strikeouts moved him past Don Drysdale into 26th place on the all-time list (2,489).

Anastacio Martinez got credit for the win Friday night, in his major league debut. He retired the Blue Jays in order in the 7th on 9 pitches and was pulled after giving up a leadoff single in the 8th. Pedro: "I know him pretty well, I would say, and I'm very happy for him. This game is actually being televised in the Dominican and I'm pretty sure his family was happy to see him in my game."

Although he's on the 15-day DL, Scott Williamson says he is merely sore. "I could be pitching but just not as effectively as I'm capable. ... What I've got now is what every pitcher gets at some point in the season. ... I couldn't get on top of my fastball and my command was done. I couldn't get the ball down. It's not like guys have been hitting me. When I've given up runs, it's been from walks. That won't be a problem once I get this out." ... Ortiz, on Manny's mammoth, game-tying, two-run homer, that cleared the Monster seats and Lansdowne Street: "Man, I wouldn't be parking my car out there."

Trot Nixon was scheduled to begin playing right field in extended spring training games today. ... Art Davidson: "[Harvard senior] Mike Morgalis was spending a quiet evening in his dorm room Friday night when when he was asked a favor by his roommate. It wasn't to help him with a paper or borrow $10. Morgalis was asked if he was available to pitch the next day to Nomar Garciaparra."

No comments: