June 10, 2004

Notes. Brian Daubach's departure means the only left-handed hitter off the bench is Cesar Crespo. Francona: "This way we have a third catcher. It frees up Mirabelli to maybe hit in a game against a lefty, which I think we need to at least think about doing." ... Trot Nixon will play right field for five innings tonight for Pawtucket. ... Scott Williamson was encouraged after throwing 10 minutes of batting practice (26 pitches) to Andy Dominique and Crespo -- ignore obvious joke -- and he could be activated from the disabled list today. ... During last night's rain delay, fans were ushered out of the Monster seats because of concerns about lightning.

Shorting before the Padres series began, Johnny Damon asked: "Does anyone know who plays for San Diego this year?" The Padres, led by David Wells apparently, were annoyed and taped the clipping to their clubhouse wall. ... Damon explained: "I don't know who's on any team. I don't look at box scores. I don't watch the highlights. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but if I played for San Diego, I'm sure I wouldn't know who played for the Red Sox. I didn't know Tino Martinez got traded (from St. Louis to Tampa Bay) till three months after the fact."

No comments: