December 13, 2004

Oh. My. God. It was rumored a decision was coming today. And it did.

Pedro Martinez is a New York Met.
Three major league sources confirmed to the Boston Globe that Martinez and the New York Mets agreed to terms on a four-year, $50 million deal this afternoon. The contract is pending Martinez passing a physical. ... Boston's final proposal was a $30.5 million, three-year deal that contained a club option for 2008 ...
I did not expect this. Once Boston agreed to a third year, it seemed obvious that Martinez would return. I am stunned.

All I can say now is: It was an honor to watch Pedro pitch for the Red Sox -- he towered over the sport in 1999-2000 like no pitcher in the history of the game had ever done -- and I'm thrilled he helped bring a World Series title to Boston. Unlike a lot of Red Sox fans, I never disliked Pedro for what some called his "diva act". My take: you pitch like that, you can do whatever you damn well please.

Well, I can watch him pitch in person a lot more often now. ...

No comments: