July 24, 2005

Arroyo Expects To Stay

Bronson Arroyo on the possibility of being traded:
I don't feel like there's anybody they're going to go get that's going to make our rotation that much better than it is right now. So I don't see why you would trade one of your five guys who's been healthy for you for the whole time I've been here. ... I know a lot of the guys on this team, especially the starting pitchers, are in a situation where they really can't be moved. ... I know my name's going to come up here and there. I think about it for maybe a little while but the situation I'm in, the situation we're in right now, I don't think I'm going anywhere. ...

I love playing in Boston. I've said it plenty of times. I'll sign a lifetime deal here any time they want. I like playing in this uniform, I don't want to play anywhere else. I've played in Pittsburgh where it was a complete contrast. I don't think there's any other place in baseball that brings the kind of excitement that the Red Sox do.
Arroyo's CD is at No. 123 on the Billboard 200 chart and was the No. 1 seller in Boston last week.

Tony Massarotti calls Giants starter Jason Schmidt "the most intriguing potential acquisition" of the summer and notes that "the Giants have been among the most dedicated teams scouting the Red Sox' minor league system in recent days." ... First-round draft pick Craig Hansen signed a four-year, $4 million major league deal yesterday. Could Hansen, who will report to the Fort Myers this week, debut for the big club later this season? A club official: "Probably not - no."

Curt Schilling says he's ready to "start right now," but Terry Francona says not yet. ... Gabe Kapler might rejoin the Sox next weekend. Yesterday in Pawtucket, Kapler played center field and got three hits, including a three-run homer, and four RBIs.

According to Elias, Manny Ramirez's Thursday night home run -- one pitch after Joe Crede dropped his foul popup -- was the first game-deciding homer after a hitter was given "a second life" in nearly 13 years. Back on August 28, 1992, Dan Gladden hit a two-run homer immediately after the Angels' Wally Joyner dropped his foul pop.

With his single in the ninth inning of Sunday's game, Ramirez has reached base in 82 of the past 89 games.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad Arroyo's only consistency is giving up four runs in the first couple innings. He was untouchable before his suspension, but now... not so much.