July 11, 2005

G87: Orioles 4, Red Sox 1

Bah.

Sunday's lone highlight (though it was a stupid decision): David Ortiz stole his first base since July 22, 2002. "I hope you guys enjoyed that one because you're not going to see too many. ... I looked in the dugout and I saw Tito, 'What the [heck]?'"

Limping into the break, the Red Sox scored two or fewer runs in six of their last 13 games (5-8). And they let the Orioles -- who came into the series have lost 11 of their last 13 games -- back into the East race. ... Rodrigo Lopez is 10-4, 3.54 in 20 games against Boston since the start of 2002. The 10 wins are more than any other pitcher.

Damon had a ninth-inning bunt single to extend his hitting streak to 25 games. ... Latest trade rumor: Kevin Millar to the Astros for reliever Chad Qualls (3-3, 3.89 ERA).

Curt Schilling is ready. On Sunday, he threw a scoreless eighth inning for the PawSox (16 pitches, 11 strikes), allowing a leadoff single, a pop-up to third, a strikeout and a flyout to left. "I feel good and ready to go. If they're ready for me to get back, I'm ready to get back there. ... I felt stronger than I did [on Saturday]."

Mid-season report cards from: Tony Massarotti (Herald) and David LeFort (Globe). Gordon Edes (Globe) answers questions about the second half.

Tentative matchups for the Red Sox/Yankees series: Arroyo/Mussina, Wells/Wang, Clement/Johnson and Wakefield/TBA.

HR Derby? Go Ortizzle!

No comments: