March 25, 2006

Etc.

Matt Clement is pleased with the resurgence of his sinker: "If I can mix and match and set some things up with it, it could be fun, but I've still got to be consistent with it. ... I can tell by the way a left-hander swings at it. Last year, a left-hander would drive it or wouldn't be fooled by it. Today [Thursday], I got some swings at balls and some rollovers."

As expected, Jonathan Papelbon will start the year in the bullpen. However, Francona said that any spot starts would likely go to someone else (perhaps Lenny DiNardo). When Pap joins the rotation, it'll be for good.

David Wells's surgically repaired right knee feels fine and he thinks several Sox pitchers can win 20 games.

Although Wily Mo Pena (wearing #15) played first base in winter ball, he was told he'll see time only at the three outfield positions.

Hee Seop Choi will begin the season in Pawtucket "barring another move". Theo: We've liked him for a while. We see this as an opportunity to acquire him when his value is down a bit." ... Choi: "I am shocked. ... This is good for me because I want to play a lot. I'll have more chances to play at Boston."

No comments: