March 3, 2006

Schilling: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 3K

Here's another plug for the Globe's Extra Bases blog. Nick Cafardo has filed five reports so far today. The reports are excellent, especially for those of us who cannot get radio and TV updates from NESN and other Boston stations.

Boston beat Boston College this afternoon 10-0. Curt Schilling pitched four innings (35 pitches), striking out three and allowing one hit and no walks:
If I thought about how I felt last year in my best start and ranked it, today was in a different stratosphere from a physical standpoint as far as how I felt compared to any time, at any point last year. The two big things that come out of this game today for me that I wanted from an approach standpoint were how I felt and my velocity. I thought when I wanted to cut loose it was every bit the same way I used to cut loose in spring training in my first couple of starts.
Schilling's health and ability to pitch this year is obviously one of the spring's biggest, and most important, questions. His comments are music to my ears (which isn't always the case).

Alex Gonzalez has withdrawn from the World Baseball Classic. ... Jonathan Papelbon has only a dime-sized bruise near his left ankle. "I should probably be able to run tomorrow." ... After his shoulder went numb after a swing last night, Dustin Pedroia went for an MRI.

Today's lineups:
Boston College Northeastern

Willie Harris, CF Coco Crisp, CF
Mark Loretta, 2B Tony Graffanino, 2B
Trot Nixon, RF JT Snow, 1B
Mike Lowell, 3B Dustan Mohr, RF
Kevin Youkilis, 1B David Murphy, LF
Josh Bard, C Josh Pressley, DH
Louis Jiminez, DH John Flaherty, C
Brandon Moss, LF Enrique Wilson, 3B
Alejandro Machado, SS Jed Lowrie, SS
Curt Schilling, P Matt Clement, P

1 comment:

Zenslinger said...

I have a bet, weeks old, from a drunk Yankee fan that Schill would not get 12 wins this year.

It's a couple of beers, anyway...