June 9, 2006

Mistakes

Curt Schilling threw only three of his 96 pitches from the stretch. They came in the third inning, after Johnny Damon doubled. Melky Cabrera lofted a 1-1 pitch to short center and Damon was doubled off the bag. Curt: "It was kind of a weird game. I made four mistakes. I left three splitters up for two homers and a double. And I left a slider up for [Williams's] homer. I've got to eliminate my mistakes."

Why is it that when pitchers discuss "mistakes" they made during a game, they are almost always home runs? Couldn't at least one of those homers not have been a mistake? And couldn't Schilling have made mistakes that were fouled off or hit for outs? "Mistakes = home runs" seems way too reductive. ... But maybe that's just what pitchers tell writers.

Steve Buckley highlights Alex Gonzalez's key eight-pitch at-bat and double lined past Alex Rodriguez in the sixth inning -- it knocked in Jason Varitek and broke a 3-3 tie. Slappy said it was a tough play -- one he makes maybe three or four times out of 10. ... That's clutch, baby!

Example

Coco Crisp has been bothered by a blister at the base of the middle finger of his left hand, so he's now wearing one batting glove. ... Keith Foulke sat out a sixth straight game because his back did not respond well to an indoor throwing session. ... David Pauley doesn't care if he's in the pen this weekend: "Anything that's going to keep me up here, I'm more than happy to do it."

Submariner pitcher Josh Papelbon was chosen by the Red Sox in the 48th round of this week's draft. Jonathan on Josh: "Out of the three of us brothers [Josh's twin Jeremy [also a pitcher] was chosen by the Cubs], he's always been the hardest worker out of all of us. Nothing has really come easy to him, so he's always worked harder than both of us. That will play out well here."

Pedro Martinez is in line to pitch in Fenway on June 28, although if the Mets don't use a fifth starter after an offday that week, he'll face the Sox on June 27.

7 comments:

Pokerwolf said...

"Mistakes = home runs" seems way too reductive. ... But maybe that's just what pitchers tell writers.

Home runs can only be blamed on pitchers. Other hits/scoring/etc involve the fielders, so the pitchers can't take full blame sometimes.

Foul balls, hit outs, and other results don't equal runs so they don't qualify as "mistakes" unless they lead to a score.

That's my best guess anyway.

Jere said...

Maybe pitchers think of it like this: A mistake isn't a mistake until it's capitalized upon.

allan said...

I left all 4 pitches knees to belt high, middle of the plate.

Hey, Curt, thanks for stopping by! If you return ...

I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me, but my thinking was that you must have left more than those 4 pitches in that area last night. (Maybe not.) And if so, they obviously did not end up being hit over the fence.

Re Jere's comment: what would you call a pitch that was left in a batter's zone that should have been hammered, but wasn't? Is that a mistake?

laura k said...

Also hope Petey gets a standing O. I will be upset if he gets booed.

Me too. He deserves nothing but thanks. Then a loss, of course.

Jere said...

That's the first time anyone ever adressed me and Curt Schilling directly one after the other!

I was just kind of agreeing with your theory, that there are a lot more mistakes made, but pitchers aren't going to refer to them as mistakes unless severe damage is done to them. Like, after a perfect game, they're not going to say, "Yeah, I made a lot of mistakes tonight. Remember that foul tip by Sixto Lezcano, the only ball the other team made contact with? HUGE mistake. I'm pissed at myself."

Re: brian: Of course Pedro will get a standng O. He deserves it. I know I'll always love the guy.

And Curt, on behalf of my family dating back several generations, thank you for what you've done.

allan said...

Not at all. But I do understand why a pitcher would not want to say, "Well, I made about 30 mistakes tonight, but fortunately, the other team couldn't take advantage of any of them."

Zenslinger said...

It is good of Curt to stop by.