June 29, 2006

Morons

As noted in comments, WEEI handed out placards with "Welcome Back, Pay-dro" on them. Disgusting. I assume the mouthbreathers at the station were cool with Martinez signing his $75,000,000 deal with Boston in 1998 -- at that time, the biggest contract ever given to a pitcher in baseball history. (Feel free to voice your opinion.)

Also disgusting was the "Pe-dro" chant (sung to the tune of "Dar-ryl, Dar-ryl") after Alex Gonzalez homered in the third inning. As reported by some SoSHers, there were also some scattered "Who's Your Daddy?" chants. (Why don't these people just get it over with and buy an NY cap?) ... I know there are Red Sox fans who are every bit as idiotic and clueless as Yankee fans, but it's disheartening when the evidence is so clear.

(Or maybe the mediots were right, after all. There is a segment of Red Sox fans [sic] who never wanted to win the World Series, instead relishing the tag of lifetime loser, being spoon-fed their opinions, and booing the greatest players to ever wear the uniform they claim to love. And happily using insults created by Yankee fans.)

SoSHer Smiling Joe Hesketh was at the game:
Lots of Mets fans there last night who had traveled up from NY for the game. ... Everyone there at the park seemed to be in a great mood, relaxed and having themselves a great time. ...

[T]he overall repection Pedro got last night was unbelievably positive. He got a standing O when he went out to the OF to stretch out, a standing O when he went to the bullpen to warm up, and a huge standing O when he went to the dugout afterwards. Fans were going crazy for him; at the very end of the national anthem a leatherlung screamed "We love you Pedro!" and got a big cheer. ...

Seeing Pedro pitch live I was reminded of his incredible charisma on the field. He's a fascinating player to watch.
Pedro:
I'm just extremely happy I was able to come back. I didn't have my A game today. They took advantage of it. I didn't make pitches. ... The Red Sox are a hot team right now, a team that would probably unload on anybody. ... [N]ot even a win will give me the satisfaction I feel from that reception I got from the fans.
Injury Report: Matt Clement threw 30 pitches on Tuesday and will have another session tomorrow. ... Wily Mo Pena begins his rehab assignment tonight in Lowell; he'll move on to Pawtucket on Sunday.

5 comments:

thatdietcokegirl said...

yeah, i couldn't believe it when i heard the pe-dro chants during the game. it was such a skitso moment considering there was an evident round of applause for either a strike-out or a strike he had gotten earlier, not to mention all the standing o's he has received since he stepped into the park.

just dumb. dumb people that should be ejected from life.


-sigh-


i keep loling when i think of that 'you must love me' montage they played before the game last night. it was so.....full of pathos but at the same time hilariously silly and melodramatic.

pedro(((

9casey said...

I read you blog everyday and enjoy it very much. I love Pedro as much as the next guy.. I know Johnny D went to the yankees. But the reception Pedro received was tame and hardly heard over the tv..Get over it He's gone and he took the money as well. They both did great things in Boston , but 2004 was just that 2004

allan said...

Get over it He's gone and he took the money as well.

I am over it. But I still love Pedro and will always appreciate what he did in (and for) Boston. I don't think he left solely for the money -- it was more years than money. And I agreed with the Sox's decision. Doesn't mean I don't miss him. He was only the greatest fucking pitcher I'll ever see.

but 2004 was just that 2004

No Red Sox fan would ever say this.

...


(Zeke, is that you?)

9casey said...

I agree he was the best pitcher I will ever see also. I realized something after the 2004 season , living in in area where most of the people are Yankee fans , and all my friends being yankee fans. 2004 was special "the greatest Red Sox team ever assembled" It was a lifelong dream of my own and my my fathers(deceased in 2001), I wept like a little girl. I have learned to trust Theo and the guys to make the right descions for the future , to root for the uniform and not the people inside of it. They are creating an era where it is special to wear that uniform, I think Pedro realizes that, I think Damon realizes that , I know Lowe realizes that. Now we have Yankee fans starting to realize that. It wont be about wearing pinstripes it will be about being part of the NATION.

laura k said...

Hail the nation!--- I like that: the uniform, not the people in it, but it smacks of a nationalism that's kinda scarey....

Sports is the only time when it's acceptable - and preferred - to root for the uniform, no matter who's wearing it.

It wont be about wearing pinstripes it will be about being part of the NATION.

This will always depend on who you ask, and always should. Long live the greatest rivalry in sports.