June 21, 2006

Paxton Crawford Admits Steriod/HGH Use With Sox

Former Red Sox pitcher Paxton Crawford, in the current issue of ESPN The Magazine, admits to using steroids and HGH while with Boston from 2000-01. One snip hints at how common such usage may have been on the club:
One time [in 2001], I walked right into the Red Sox clubhouse with a bunch of needles wrapped in a towel and left them on my chair. A few minutes later, one of my teammates came running over, saying, 'Paxton, someone knocked your chair over and your freaking needles are all over the floor!' Man, we just died about that. He said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen, told me I was nuts. But that's the way it was back then.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

This scares me, not because I care about Paxton Crawford, but because I wonder who else on the Sox squad in 2001 knew about it and/or had drugs of their own.

Peter N said...

What a thug. That's all.

allan said...

Crawford is pretty clear that he won't name names, but in late June 2000, drugs, vials and syringes were found in the glove compartment of Sox infielder Manny Alexander's car.

In 2003, Jeremy Giambi, who has admitting using, was on the team.