October 26, 2006

Dave Roberts Among Sox Hall Of Fame Inductees

David Roberts will be inducted into the Red Sox Hall of Fame on November 9, along with Jerry Remy, George Scott, Ellis Kinder, Vern Stephens, VP Dick Bresciani and former managers Dick Williams and Joe Morgan.

Roberts is being honored in the "Memorable Moments" category for his "Steal of the Century":
What's funny is that when I was in the middle of stealing the base, I thought I had it. But as I look back at the highlight over and over, I didn't realize how close the play actually was. It seems like the more I watch it, the closer and closer it gets. ... It's just amazing how close the play was and I get chills every time I think about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I enjoy replays of the steal (especially when I watch the entire inning to ratchet up the tension), the moment when Roberts was introduced at the home opener the following year was quite extraordinary. The volume was incredible, and the entire bar appeared to be crying into its mid-afternoon beer: a perfect Sox moment.

allan said...

What really gets me is Rivera's third throw over to first. He came so close to getting picked off.

I Love Dave Roberts.

Iain said...

It seems like the more I watch it, the closer and closer it gets.
He'd probably better stop watching it, or he might eventually end up getting tagged out ;-)

It's just amazing how close the play was and I get chills every time I think about it.
With him on that one...

I love Dave Roberts too.

laura k said...

I get those same chills - each and every time I see it.

Happy Birthday to Jack's wonderful son, who picked a great day to come into the world.

Tim Daloisio said...

I love the moment as much as anyone, but shouldn't they wait until Roberts is officially retired or until the 5 year anniversary? Why rush to memorialize things so fresh in Red Sox Nation psyche?

laura k said...

Why rush to memorialize things so fresh in Red Sox Nation psyche?

For fun. For fan morale. For recognition that without The Steal, we would have been swept right then and there.

It's not like retiring his number.

laura k said...

Sorry to bring this up in these parts, but that's how Yankee fans feel about the Jeter shovel pass in Oakland in 2001. Red Sox fans are sick of seeing that, Yankee fans are sick of seeing Fisk jumping up and down waving his arms, both teams lost the ultimate prize, but they were immortal moments that meant renewed hope.

Word verification: ughdog. :)