March 30, 2007

Buchholz Gets Start Against Tampa

Top pitching prospect Clay Buchholz pitched 4.2 innings against Tampa Bay yesterday, allowing seven hits and two runs (both in the fifth). He did not walk anyone and struck out three. The game ended in a 3-3 tie.

Buchholz:
I felt like I threw my fastball really well. When you get swings and misses with the fastball at this level, you probably did something right with it.
John Farrell:
You can see why people are so excited about his potential, largely in part because he was able to get quite a few swings and misses with his fastball. To me, if you’re looking at one thing in one game, when a pitcher can get that, they not only have life in the zone, but with a deceptive delivery, hitters aren’t tracking the ball regularly.
Theo Epstein:
This time of year he pitches in the low 90s. Last year, toward the end of year, he was consistently 92-94 and touched 97. He has a good live fastball, and when he's on, the slider, curve, and change will be double-plusses. ... He's a little raw. He's made only a handful of starts above low A ball. Fastball command is his biggest issue this year. He's an outstanding athlete with a lightning-quick arm and really advanced secondary stuff.
Jonathan Papelbon:
Regardless of stats, I know for sure he collected a lot of information today, just by sitting in the dugout and seeing how players go about their business and learning how to be a professional. For me, I was listening and watching everything and I was learning [in 2005]. I think he did well.
Buchholz will start the year in Portland (AA).

No comments: