March 5, 2007

Eight Pitches For Lester

Mike Petraglia, Redsox.com:
[Jon Lester] pitched a perfect first inning in a Spring Training B-game at Hammond Stadium against the Minnesota Twins [Monday morning], getting three groundouts, two to shortstop with a groundout to third sandwiched in between. ...

Lester needed just eight pitches to retire Alexi Casilla, Glenn Williams and Mike Redmond. Lester threw eight pitches, six for strikes, to catcher George Kottaras. ...

Six of the pitches were fastballs. There were no fewer than three radar guns on his pitches, with three fastballs clocked at 88 mph, two at 89 mph and one at 90 mph. ...

"Command was great," Lester said. "I went away when I wanted to go away and went in when I wanted to go in. ... I don't think the treatments are a factor right now. I'm still building it back up from the offseason, but I think I'm right about at 85 or 90 percent ..."

3 comments:

Peter N said...

And a sweeter eight pitches have NEVER been thrown!

allan said...

If I recall, Cabin Mirror and the Pro saw a total of 8 pitches from Fruitbat in the 9th inning of Game 4.

Those were also pretty sweet!

From the Vined Smithy said...

Yep, 4 balls and a foul ball for Millar. A ball, a strike (on an attempted bunt...I'm still not sure if he was feigning bunt to get him to throw a strike or what), and THE HIT.

Still, it is nice to know that Lester is feeling pretty good health-wise and pitching-wise (in that order).