March 1, 2007

Let's Play Two!

For this afternoon's game against Roy Halladay and the Blue Jays, the only players from the major league roster will be Alex Cora, Dustin Pedroia, Wily Mo Pena and Eric Hinske. Most of the starters will stay in Fort Myers for the game against Northeastern.

MLB rules state that a minimum of four regulars must be sent on spring training trips. Francona: "By the rule, it ain't cutting it. We're not doing it out of disrespect. We have two doubleheaders in a row."

Today's lineups (both games are at 1 PM):
Against Northeastern:

Julio Lugo, SS
Kevin Youkilis, 1B
David Ortiz, DH
J.D. Drew, RF
Mike Lowell, 3B
Coco Crisp, CF
Doug Mirabelli, C
Alex Ochoa, LF
Joe McEwing, 2B
Josh Beckett, P

Against Toronto:

Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Alex Cora, SS
Eric Hinske, 1B
Wily Mo Pena, LF
Jeff Bailey, DH
Brandon Moss, RF
George Kottaras, C
Chad Spann, 3B
Kerry Robinson, CF
Kason Gabbard, P
Manny Ramirez will play tomorrow afternoon against the Blue Jays. ... Last night's game was called after 10 innings when both teams had run out of pitchers. ... After looking at three strikes in his first at-bat, Jacoby Ellsbury smacked an 0-and-2 pitch for a two-run single in the fourth; he also stole a base. ...

Curt Schilling:
It's 19 pitches, 18 fastballs [he threw one split that Joe Mauer grounded to first]. It felt good, though. I felt a little stronger than I thought I might feel. ... I feel like I'm certainly ready to throw 30, 40, 50, 60 pitches right now. ... I expect to be the ace of the staff. I expect some of these guys to have phenomenal years, and I'll barely outpitch them and we'll win a World Series.
Jon Lester will pitch one inning in a "B" game against minor leaguers Monday morning: "I want to do more, but I have to listen to what they say. ... I feel like I've been facing hitters in live batting practice."

No comments: