March 3, 2007

Pitchers

Josh Beckett pitched two innings against Northeastern on Thursday, striking out five. Of his 21 pitches, 18 were strikes. He threw a first-pitch strike to all seven batters he faced. The best news was that Beckett was throwing many more breaking pitches, something he avoided last season.

Jason Varitek on Daisuke Matsuzaka:
He did very well. He did all of the above, as expected. He ran into a jam right away. He pitched right out of it. When you get in a jam your first time out ... I don't care who you are or where you're from, you don't want to give up a run there. He didn't.
Matsuzaka:
I am not 100 percent satisfied with how I pitched today, but considering the time of the season, when it is now, it's an OK level right now. ... What I would like to know is what the strike zone is all about in Major League Baseball and how the batters will react. Those will be the two issues that I will be looking for.
MLB has video and photos. ... John Farrell talks about Dice's arsenal of pitches.

Hideki Okajima, the team's other Japanese pitcher, made his spring debut with a perfect fifth inning on Friday against the Blue Jays. He said he was "very nervous and excited". He retired the side on an infield pop, a grounder to short and a fly ball to left. As far as "sharing" the spotlight with Dice-K, Okajima said: "I am willing to be a hero in the dark."

Runelvys Hernandez, on the other hand, did not do well. The Blue Jays battered him for six runs and seven hits, including three consecutive doubles followed by a three-run homer. ... Kyle Snyder walked two Jays on eight pitches in the first inning, but ended up with two scoreless innings and four strikeouts.

Manny Ramirez fouled out and walked in two plate appearances yesterday. ... Craig Hansen threw on the side, but Mike Timlin will have to wait another three or four days or so.

10 comments:

Jere said...

Weren't we supposed to sign Masumi Kuwata as well? He appears to be on the Pirates.

allan said...

In mid-December, the Herald (I think) reported:

Last week, general manager Theo Epstein said the club had extended an invitation to spring training to veteran Japanese pitcher Masumi Kuwata.

The right-handed reliever, however, chose to sign with the Pirates instead, a decision based partly on what he said was his lifelong affinity with Roberto Clemente.

It is also believed that Kuwata, 38, felt he had a better chance of pitching in the majors with the Pirates.

9casey said...

Just a little cable update for my area...I was graced yesterday morning with the news that comacast will now carry sny......still no sign of NESN......

Jere said...

Wow, an affinity with Clemente, over going for more money. Sounds like an awesome guy. We should get that guy...oh, right.

And I won't get started on Comcast and CT and all that stuff or I'll break my keyboard again.

Peter N said...

Jere has a legitimate beef. Is it a Steinbrenner influenced blackout? It's been suggested. I'm not telling you where he lives, but the only county in this small state that I love that is Sox blacked out is Fairfield county. Jere, I hope I am correct. And I know you're a little south and west from there. Thank goodness for WTIC am1080 radio. And then there is the new deal with direct.tv, where even more fans lose out if they are cable subscribers. I'm in NESNland, and very happy.

Peter N said...

9casey...you meain Waterbury, 19 miles down 84w from me, you do not get NESN?? I did not know that!

9casey said...

That's right Peter no nesn ...ever
I emailed comcast yesterday and they responed with some crap about the fcc and customers and what they want. Some guy is planning a demonstration at the comcast buliding...that should be a hot time...

Since my cable has switched from adelphia to comcast they have already canceled 10 stations and continued to charge the same price....I was informed that i will be receiving yes in hd.....sweet I get to see A-frauds highlight job through the heart stopping picture clarity that is HD......

Jere said...

Yeah, he's not even in Fairfield, and still has a problem. Stupid Comcast--such a partner with the Sox--you'd think that would mean they'd want to give their New England customers NEW ENGLAND Sports Network.

At least the Waterbury people have avenues--bug the monopolizing cable companies enough, and at least they have a CHANCE, since they are in the offcial NESN territory. Fairfield County just gets to sit and wait for the rules to change, year after year. (Actually, decade after decade.)

I wrote to John Kerry, since he seems so interested in justice for baseball fans now, and told him about the Fairfield travesty. No response yet.

Jere said...

An ex-co-worker of mine lived in Watertown, right above Waterbury, and he had NESN as of a few years ago (of course, it took a fight to get it). So I thought that area had finally come around. I guess it's still a year-to-year thing. New Haven, where my parents are, got NESN a few years ago, and fortunately have held onto it since.

9casey said...

I beleive Watertown is cablevision.
We have been bugging the cable company for 5 years, petions, sports reporters for the paper report on this situation monthly...


I live about 100 yards from Watertown..Think I could find a 100 yd cable wire.