March 8, 2007

Yet Another Red Sox Blog!

Curt Schilling has begun his own blog: 38pitches.
I've done it. I've caved and am actually taking the blog plunge. ...

I've been called everything from outspoken to blowhard to much, much worse. I believe those labels spring out of the fact that I care about the things people ask me as much as any other cause. I've never been a yes/no kind of guy, which probably hasn't been received well by some. I don't know that I'll be changing my style, but I do know that getting ripped for something I say here will be getting ripped for something I actually said -- with the entire contents of my comments included.
This should be a great read.

During 2004 -- Schilling's first season in Boston -- he was a regular commenter on the Sons of Sam Horn message board. Indeed, for the first few months of that season, he offered lengthy posts after each start -- detailing the good and the bad, sometimes pitch by pitch -- often only a few hours after the final out.

Schilling knew that having those posts reappear in print was a risk. He made repeated requests that his comments were for the board only, adding that anyone in the media could ask him in person about his posts -- he wasn't that hard to find -- but they should honor his wish to not use them verbatim.

Can you guess what happened next?

A Boston sportswriter (a hint: his name rhymes with Phony Nazzalotti) helped himself to some of Schilling's comments, using them without permission in one of his columns. ... Shortly thereafter, Curt plugged the plug.

Since word of 38pitches will spread, I'm hopeful that Schilling will resurrect those types of posts for 2007.

10 comments:

laura k said...

That is sure to be an interesting read. I'll make a private wager on how many posts I last before something Schilling writes makes me sick and I vow never to go back.

Nice publicity for Wordpress, too.

9casey said...

Here is what I heard about
mlb extra innings....Direct gets the package for 7 years and also gives the mlb channel to all their cutomers in the basic price...They said cable outlets will get this same deal if they also offer mlb channel in their basic package ( never going to happen) they wont even offer the nfl network with basic....So start hounding you cable operator...mlb left the door open lets see if they walk through...

Jim said...

Yeah, this may be the blogger equivalent of panning for gold. How many tons of Schill's self-serving blowhard do you have to sift through to find a nugget of insight? I'm giving it a week before he says something ambiguous about a team-mate that triggers a massive shit-storm.

Unknown said...

He's pretty much been a podcaster on Dennis and Callahan since he got here, this move was inevitable!

Mike said...

I agree with l-girl. Let's hope he doesn't talk about his bff.

Jere said...

What's up with the comments section over there? First of all the timestamps are 8 hours off--but last night I was comment #7, now it's # 38, and Curt, in comment 6, answers comment 42. Oh, I see, they fixed the time. So my comment from 11:30 last night showed up as 7:30 AM, then they changed the clock, and any comment before 7:30 AM got placed ahead of mine. Boo. Anyway, my feeling on his blog is that I'm glad he's doing it, it will be good to hear what he says about everything, instead of hearing rumors. And it looks like he'll be writing a lot...

Cormac said...

More power to the man for taking a shot at it and putting up some good content.

You all know why alot of journalists don't like Schill, right? In case you don't, it's because he isn't afraid to speak his mind, and does so reasonably eloquently.

Judging by how the US based media warriors write about him, they might even be a little threatened by him.

I hope he keeps it up all season.

Jim said...

Good point eklof. Unfiltered Curt is better than the CHB/Edes/Mazz/Buck filters any day.

laura k said...

You all know why alot of journalists don't like Schill, right? In case you don't, it's because he isn't afraid to speak his mind, and does so reasonably eloquently.

It's also because he has gone around them so many times, speaking directly to the fans, making the old media irrelevant. His blog takes that one step further.

I think I wasn't clear before. I think it's great that he's blogging. I'm just guessing that the content of said blog will, at some point, be disgusting and offensive to me. It's inevitable.

9casey said...

It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen a marquis player do.


L-girl said...
I think I wasn't clear before. I think it's great that he's blogging. I'm just guessing that the content of said blog will, at some point, be disgusting and offensive to me. It's inevitable.

That should be fun waiting for that moment.

Be Positive .I think Curt is trying to be.....