April 26, 2007

Thorne Offers An Excuse

Gary Thorne, after having the entire day to think about it, offers his explanation:
He [Mirabelli] said one thing, and I heard something else. I reported what I heard and what I honestly felt was said. Having talked with him today, there's no doubt in my mind that's not what he said [and] that's not what he meant. He explained why in the context of the sarcasm and the jabbing that goes on in the clubhouse, [and] that I understand. I took it as something serious, and it wasn't. ...

I didn't say something I didn't believe. I would never do that. I feel bad the whole thing happened because I don't want to disparage him or Schilling or Terry or anybody else. I wasn't looking for a story. I didn't want something to come out of this. But when it came today, I was flabbergasted by it.
Mirabelli, who initially said he had no idea who Thorne even was, described the initial incident:
As he was walking away, [Thorne] asked me, 'How about the bloody sock?' And this was a year later, after the World Series. And he said that I said, 'Yeah, we got a lot of publicity out of that.' And that was it. That was all that he could recall me saying. And he said that he just assumed that's what I meant, that it was all a publicity stunt. By no means was that what I meant. ... It's hard to get that meaning out of those words he told me, but that's what he went with.
(Jeff Goldberg has the entire text of Mirabelli's statement; Steven Krasner has more Thorne quotes.)

When you listen to what Thorne said on the air -- and especially how he said it -- his explanation makes no sense. He made no attempt to tell his audience that he had been speaking with Mirabelli; he presented Mirabelli's "confession" as if it had been widely reported long before last night and was common knowledge among all baseball fans.

For an experienced broadcaster like Thorne, who has done plenty of national broadcasts for ESPN, to think that (a) the sock incident had been exposed as a hoax or (b) he could toss off an unfounded accusation about such a famous incident -- and not have it become a big story -- well, he's got to be dumber than a blob of pine tar.

But what else could he say, really? Thorne could have offered what I think would have been an honest answer: that what he said was wrong, completely uncalled for, and totally unsupported by any evidence. But the logical follow-up question would have been a bit trickier to answer:
So why did you say it?
and then
If Mirabelli told you this back in 2005 and you believed he was serious, why did you sit on this blockbuster of a story for two years before announcing it in the most ho-hum manner during the 5th inning of a mid-week broadcast in April?
Thorne gave a pathetic excuse, one that comes nowhere near explaining what he said and how he said it. Obviously, he hopes this whole incident blows over and is forgotten in a week or so. It probably will, but he has to know he screwed up in a big way.

With any luck, perhaps all announcers will now realize they should stick a bit closer to the facts.

6 comments:

9casey said...

Baltimore's Kevin Millar, who played for the 2004 Red Sox, said, "It was 100 percent blood, no doubt about it. Why are we even talking about this?"

exactly..

Hey by the way two great pitching performances By Schilling and Beckett...

allan said...

Why are we even talking about this?

Hey Cabin: Thorne said it was a hoax. Go ask him why he's talking about it.

By the way, thanks for those two walks and the "Don't let us win tonight" quote!!!

9casey said...

Redsock said:
Perhaps, but Thorne should be held accountable for the words that come out of his mouth during a baseball telecast -- or at least be expected to explain his comments.

Schill could probablly have a case against him .If he wanted to pursue.

But I think You will see on 38pitches more explanations on why the media sucks.....
And never believe half the shit they say or write....

I don't think anybody will fire Thorne for this , shit Sutcliffe showed up in the press box hammered last year and didn't lose his job...

Keith Hernandez said women shouldn't be in the dugout and didn't lose his job.....

Good thing Thorne didn't call him
a Bloddy Socked Ho.......


Back to Baseball.....

allan said...

Good thing Thorne didn't call him a Bloddy Socked Ho.......

He might have tonight. I had the NESN feed.

laura k said...

Back to Baseball.....

Media watching is part of Joy of Sox. You know that.

Schill could probablly have a case against him .If he wanted to pursue.

He probably has a case, but he'd look like an idiot pursuing it (and he knows that). Better to pursue it this way, through the blogosphere.

Jeff Foley said...

Millar wore a "bloody" red sock for last night's game. Pretty damn funny.