June 30, 2007

It's Raining Smarties

Joe Posnanski:
OK, so I have to take a moment to say how much I am enjoying the Roger Clemens' disaster film happening in New York. It's like Towering Inferno, only entertaining. Sure I have (I think) the appropriate admiration for Clemens the pitcher -- I think he's one of the three best in baseball history. ...

I had this vision when he signed the big contract that he would suddenly and irrevocably suck, leaving the Yankees in a death spiral that would snap George Steinbrenner back to his 1970s, fire-everybody-I-won't-take-this-anymore former glory. I didn't dare believe it really could happen, though.

Well, folks, it's all coming true. Clemens blows. The Yankees are under .500 and a million games behind the Red Sox. Steinbrenner releases a statement every so often saying he won't take this much longer. Milk and honey flow in the streets. It's raining Smarties. OK, sure, it probably won't last. But for a moment, it's all there: Clemens is giving up hits. He's giving up homers. His ERA is 5.32. ...

7 comments:

MRhé said...

Truly awesome to see Clemens and the Yanks continue to spiral into the dustbin of the AL East.

Great blog, by the way - I've been a reader for a few years now.

Benjamin said...

Even after today's loss, Kei Igawa's won more games and lost fewer than Clemens. Their ERAs aren't so different either.

Bartman said...

Yankees lose, Yankees lose!

Jon said...

Yankees are sucking, which means a great year for Sox fans :). I just wanted to tell you, when you write new blog posts, go over to BeTheRef.com and post a link to your story, and hopefully get a few extra readers. Take care and keep up the great work! :)

Ron said...

Nobody mentions Jacoby Ellsbury is starting in CF tonight? I had to find out from Baseball Tonight

laura k said...

Nobody mentions Jacoby Ellsbury is starting in CF tonight? I had to find out from Baseball Tonight

Allan told me at the party yesterday, but I guess he didn't have time to blog about it. Or was too drunk, one of those.

I miss BBTN.

laura k said...

when you write new blog posts, go over to BeTheRef.com and post a link to your story

Bah! Total bush league.

Not BeTheRef.com, I don't know the site at all. But posting links to your posts at other sites and blogs is considered spam. Very low rent.