July 7, 2007

Don't Wanna Be A Bum, You Better Chew Gum

Jeff Bailey learned he was heading to the major leagues (after 11 years in the minors) from Pawtucket manager Ron Johnson at a truck stop between Scranton and Rochester at about 1:30 AM on Friday:
"I was getting a gumball out of the machine. I put the gumball in my mouth and RJ told me and I told him he was lying to me and walked away. He had to tell me a second time. ... [G]etting to play baseball every day at any level is better than going back to school or working in the paper mill at home."
People still get gum from those machines?!? Like adults?!? How old could that gum be?

For the past two seasons, Bailey has shared an apartment in Providence with pitcher Kason Gabbard, who starts tonight.

Kevin Youkilis may rest his strained left quadriceps for the entire Tigers series and be ready to play after the break. ... Brendan Donnelly played long toss yesterday.

A few of Julian Tavarez's teammates thought he might have been tipping his pitches last night, but Sexy Lips disagreed:
I can't make any excuses. It was just one of those days. ... It was a bad outing.

5 comments:

laura k said...

[G]etting to play baseball every day at any level is better than going back to school or working in the paper mill at home.

A timeless thought.

Think of how people dream of getting out of working at the paper mill (or the equivalent) to play professional ball. Until recently, a boy-only dream, unfortunately.

CaKeY said...

L-girl... you will speak when spoken to. Now get your cute little caboose back in teh kitchen and make me a pie.

laura k said...

Well at least my caboose is still cute. :)

Anyway, I thought you would do the baking, Cakey.

allan said...

Jeff Bailey will be forever known as "Gumball".

Timmy Mac said...

L-girl, that quote jumped out at me, too. And I concur with "Gumball."