July 14, 2007

Snuffer Hates Radar Guns

Cormac, a Red Sox Blogger in Ireland, links to a Buffalo News story in which Jonathan Papelbon says he'd like to ban all radar guns:
It's a total advantage to a hitter - If I'm throwing 98 pitch after pitch, a batter can get set for what's coming. If I'm throwing 93, they might know I'm not feeling as well. Why don't we just tell guys what's coming? It's terrible. They'll know what range your fastball is and what your offspeed stuff is. I have no idea why they started doing this.
It's an interesting perspective. I don't really look at pitch speeds at Skydome (though I do like seeing how many of any Wakefield's pitches dip below 60), but I like seeing what type of pitch was thrown.

2 comments:

tim said...

Interesting that you mention Skydome...I was right behind the plate for Dice-K's first start there sitting next to the guy who types the pitch speed and type of pitch in that comes up on the scoreboard.

I've gotta say, I've never sat behind the plate before that game and it's one hell of a view - I was actually able to see each pitch that was thrown, and Dice was throwin some major junk that game.

But Paps does make a good point about radar guns...

laura k said...

"Interesting that you mention Skydome...I was right behind the plate for Dice-K's first start there "

Is that the game when you were ejected? Sunflower seeds, anyone?

We were there too, not far away.