September 14, 2007

Hitori Zumo

A Japanese newspaper says Daisuke Matsuzaka is engaging in "hitori zumo" -- roughly translated as "sumo-wrestling himself".

In the second half of this season, Matsuzaka has a 5.57 ERA, having allowed 65 hits and 32 walks in 64.2 innings. He has thrown 3,125 pitches this season, more than threw last season in Japan (2,770).

John Farrell, after Dice's last start:
I think he relied a little too much on just throwing the ball, rather than pitching and hitting his spots and changing his speeds. As that inning started to build on him, the use of his fastball, he tried to over-throw it. He elevated some pitches, then used his cutter and slider to get the ball back down in the zone. But his cutter is 4 to 5 [mph] down from his fastball, not a lot for hitters to adjust to. ...

I don't think it's physical. When he gets in a big inning like that he has a tendency to rely solely on his fastball and when he does that he sacrifices location.
In "Dissecting Daisuke", Rob Bradford writes "the one aspect of Matsuzaka's game that jumps out is his unwillingness to use what many considered his best pitch coming out of spring training, the change-up".

Also:

Kevin Youkilis, wondering why Yankees fans hate him:
People find things to hate about everyone. ... Some people congratulate me. Some people say, 'Stop whining about this or that.' I can't please everyone. It is what it is. ...

They play 'Yankeeography' on Paul O'Neill every day. So, what's the problem? I've been compared to Paul O'Neill. I know Paul O'Neill. We have the same agent."

10 comments:

Jere said...

I read those Youk quotes and I've been wondering about it. Like, if you want to say "Yankee fans hate him because of his attitude on the field," fine. Totally understandable. Like we hated O'Neill. (Even though I kind of like how he makes fun of Kay in the booth, knowing Kay is a wannabe ballplayer living vicariously through the Yanks while Paul was the real deal.)

But what I don't get it how the media, when wondering why Proctor and Chamberlain throw at Youk, bring up the same reasons. Is this really a good reason to throw at his head? I don't remember O'Neill or other hot heads getting specifically thrown at.

laura k said...

I've been compared to Paul O'Neill. I know Paul O'Neill. We have the same agent.

That's not all they have in common! Good stuff from Yook.

Let's hope Dice-K gets out of the sumo ring tonight.

laura k said...

Jere, I think perhaps the reason fans hate Youk and why he gets thrown at are not the same. How the fans feel doesn't translate into the game usually.

I haven't watched YES with the sound on in ages, but I used to like the way P-O'N ragged on Kay.

allan said...

The thing everyone said about O'Neill (who never had a SoSH nickname if I recall) was that he was mad and yelling at himself. I'm not sure if that was 100% true.

Yook does that too, but he also whines at the umps a lot. He doesn't smash shit up in the dugout though (yet).

Man, to think I used to get annoyed at Tiz for doing that.

laura k said...

No real difference between O'Neill's tantrums and Yook's as far as I can see.

allan said...

Just going on memory, I don't think PON whined *at* umps as much as Yook does.

laura k said...

O'Neill (who never had a SoSH nickname if I recall)

I think he retired before the golden era of sosh nicknames. Too bad, he would've been a gold mine!

Jere said...

"Jere, I think perhaps the reason fans hate Youk and why he gets thrown at are not the same. How the fans feel doesn't translate into the game usually."

That's exactly what I'm saying. Yet that's the media's answer for why he's getting thrown at--oh, he complains a lot. I'm asking, Why is that reason for throwing at his head? Unless it's because the pitchers feel they're being shown up when he gets mad for not hitting them. Like, Hey, give me some credit for getting you out!

As for nicknames, my dad's nickname for Paul was "Frankenstein Monster."

I also used to call him "Luis Pauloneill." Because when the Yanks had Luis Polonia, sometimes, especially with Murcer, an announcer would say "Polonia" and it sounded like "Paul O'Neill."

Polonia--speaking of sex with underage girls.... he actually was sentenced to 60 days in jail, but that wasn't assault, it was "just" sex with a minor. We'll see about Mel Hall.

Zenslinger said...

"Hitori zumo" literally means "One-person sumo".

9casey said...

I see no comparison whatsoever with Yook and O'neil.Like some have said , O'neil was always pissed at himself and yook is always pissed at someone else.....I think the over under on check swings for the series for yook is 12, I will take the over, He is going to get a bad rap for that crap, and every 1b ump is going to ring him up....