April 4, 2008

Hawks At Fenway

A 13-year-old girl named Alexa Rodriguez (!!) was attacked by a hawk at Fenway park yesterday. Here are some pictures; the last one is magnificent.

It turns out there was another hawk attack two days ago. And it happened to a SoSHer who conducts tours of the park. She posted about it in the members-only section:
[I] was yelling something to one of the tour guides ... when bam! I got whacked in the head.

At first I wasn't sure what it was, but I looked and saw the hawk flying away. I put my hand up to the back of my head and when I pulled it away - a pool of blood in my hand.

I kind of went into a little state of shock. Security wanted to call an ambulance, but I just wanted to get myself to the hospital. ... I have 3 large scratches and 2 puncture wounds in my head. ...

I feel super badly for the birds. ... Several of us who've seen these hawks before believe that they might be relatively young. We can remember them nesting in the lights for the last 3 years or so. This is the first year they've been as active in their mating ritual ... Who knows why they didn't pick one of the lights that were there all off season, but they didn't. Instead they picked this grating above the State Street Pavilion (and right below the press level). The sticks were blowing off and they kept bringing them back. Finally, on Monday, the female laid an egg next to what initially looked like a piece of carpet but turned out to be someone's winter hat. She must have rolled the egg onto that and was sitting on it while he would go off and find more twigs. ... And of course, they became more protective.

14 comments:

laura k said...

Amazing. Those hawks just give me chills - so beautiful and powerful - fearless and wild. It must have been really scary for the girl (and the SoSHer). You'd be so scared for your eyes.

I understand why they had to take the birds out of Fenway, but it's a real loss for the park. (Not to mention a gain for the rodents.) I hope the birds can easily adapt to their nest being in a new location. If you see anything about that, please let me know.

Jack Marshall said...

Very strange. I've seen Orioles attack at Fenway, and a bunch of Cardinals injured quite a few fans in the Fall of 1967, but never hawks...

allan said...

I'd like to destroy some Blue Jays this weekend.

tim said...

I'd like to destroy some Blue Jays this weekend.

Hells yeah boieeee! I'm pumped for tonight, hopefully the roof'll be closed and the knuckler will be dancing. Lookin forward to another horrid performance from SCRAPPY GRITTY ECKSTEIN and some dongs from the Sox...clearly I'm stoked for this.

Jere said...

L-- Wherever they relocate nest to, the hawks will still be seen flying over Fenway as usual. I read in one article where they said they usually find a nest in a different area once the season starts and all the people are around. And every year, you always see them flying around. So I'm sure we'll still see them.

Search "Fenway hawk" on my blog to see my pics of them through the years. I know I at least have one from '05, and one from the Fenway tour I was on recently. And some others. (Not dramatic close-ups like the ones linked here.)

tim said...

I hope the birds can easily adapt to their nest being in a new location.

Apparently this thing habitually makes nests @ Fenway before the season and they always have to remove them for the sake of the fans. Poor girl.

I just love the irony of her name and all...

laura k said...

Thanks Jere. I've seen your hawk photos before, but I can always do with another peek.

Jack Marshall said...

What an idiot I am. How could I forget the over-rated, always annoying Blue Jays?

allan said...

Rainy afternoon, so roof closed for sure.

Pepe Lepew said...

Those are some amazing photos.
Poor girl!
Poor hawks! Just defending their nests.
If the Red Sox are smart, they'll turn it into a PR event, and give her free tickets and free jerseys, etc.

Gareth said...

There are a few other nearby hawk nesting sites, too; there's almost always a nest on a Boston University building that overlooks the Mass Pike - within a couple of blocks of Fenway. It's pretty spectacular when you see one coming in to land (I work around the corner). I saw an extremely adult on a building at Tufts a few months ago, too: they're all about the education and the ballgames, these hawks.

Amy said...

First I have to read about the wolves and the sea lions and wild salmon on WMTC, and now the poor hawks here. This is enough to send an animal lover into quite a downward spiral. I will be worrying about the poor hawk and its offspring now, as well as the wolves, the wild salmon, and the sea lions.

allan said...

I remember reading that Tom Yawkey and Ted Williams used to shoot blackbirds in Fenway Park.

johngoldfine said...

Is it too late to change the team name? Boston Red Hawks (or Hox)works for me. What pictures!