April 30, 2008

Newsday: Roger Clemens, Victim

Newsday's Wallace Matthews (who has a seven-year-old daughter) says he feels "a twinge of sympathy for Roger Clemens, Victim". He appears to be serious.
I find myself in the uncomfortable position of having to defend Roger Clemens.

I mean, I know the guy’s dishonest, arrogant, a bully, a perpetual teenager and quite probably, a steroid cheat. But a little perspective here, please.

A ballplayer who cheats on his wife? I am shocked. ... The fact that she was 15 and he 28? Well, that one is a little tougher to get around, but these days, 15 is the new 30. ... aside from the age of his alleged mistress at the time of their meeting, this is one big non-story ...

We don't know if Clemens was having "an affair" or "a romance" with the underage McCready ... if Clemens was simply assuming a mentoring role with his young friend, knowing as we do how strongly he feels about serving as a role model for young people.
Matthews, whose up-is-down world includes the belief that Tim Wakefield is the slowest-working pitcher in all of baseball, concludes by saying that perhaps McCready leaked this "non-story" in an attempt to restart her career. And if so, then isn't she just as bad as Clemens, who allegedly used steriods to prolong his career?

6 comments:

BklynSoxFan said...

I'm convinced there's only one bigger douchebag in this world than the Texas Con Man: Wallace Matthews. Thanks so much for alerting us to this imbecile and the story.

Beth said...

"15 is the new 30?!?!?!?!?!?" that's so many light years away from funny i can't even find the words to describe it.

somebody ought to check into *this* guy's background.

Benjamin said...

Honest, officer, I didn't know she was 3.

Fifteen is the new thirty? Seriously? Since Roger was 28, I guess she molested him then.

Timmy Mac said...

Yes, if you can get around that pesky age difference, why, it's hardly interesting at all.

Still, I think "mentoring" will make a fine euphamism. I'm gonna ask the wife if she'll let me mentor her tonight.

9casey said...

I see his point, I believe a lot of people think Athletes cheat on their wives........The point being with Clemens from a legal standpoint, it justs shows he is a cheater......

On Nesn last night they showed the Higlight of him and the Seattle strikeout game.......I just watched and thought, What the Fuck went wrong here.....

Mike said...

So, statutory rape is the new sex between consenting adults? What a lucky break for Fat Billy. Now if they'd only make HGH the new Red Bull, and lying to Congress the new Karaoke, he'd be off scott free.