May 16, 2008

Interview: Manny's High-Five Partner

After Manny Ramirez's once-in-a-lifetime play on Wednesday afternoon, I looked forward to reading the article from whichever Boston reporter trekked out to left field to interview the fan who had been high-fived by Manny.

Amazingly, the next day, there was nothing. However, Manny's high-five partner left a comment on this blog after the game, so I emailed him.

Here are some of the comments from R. Dunning, a 24-year-old Red Sox fan from Edmond, Oklahoma. On top of everything else, it was the first (and obviously, only, so far) major league baseball game he has attended!
I am from Oklahoma, but became a Sox fan in the 2004 season, before the series win. My best friend at college at Oklahoma State University has always been a huge Sox fan, his family came from NE. He got me watching the Sox in 2003 a bit and I really started following them in '04. ...

I made a trip up to Fenway a couple summers ago and it was the experience of a lifetime. I didn't get to see a game, but I went on the tour and got to go on the field. I was just stunned to be standing where Manny does. Got to see "Manny's clubhouse" door on the monster. lol ... It was just an amazing experience. Dang near in tears.

I'd never been to a major league game before and my mom got me tickets to the game in Baltimore as a gift before I leave this Summer to ship off for ARMY NG training in South Dakota. ...

Anyways, at the game Manny was having fun with the Boston fans in the area. Talking as usual, joking and pointing to the Boston fans near the foul pole. Also, kinda shaking off the hecklers, which were near me. Funny enough I was sitting next to all Orioles fans other than my mom and dad. Maybe that's why he came to me, he knew I was right in the middle of all of them. :) ...

The play happened in an instant and I barely realized I had high-fived him when he came up the wall. When he caught the ball I did the point that he always does, and you can see that in some of the videos.

Then he came up. Pretty awesome. The only people around me that realized it were the couple next to me, whose husband was listening to the radio broadcast.


When he came out the next inning he just looked my way and smiled. Nothing really dramatic. I wish he'd come up and talked to me! I guess a high five will have to do. ... Anyways, I've got something to take back with me to Oklahoma and last forever. I'm now part of a Manny being Manny moment. lol...

Ack -- While getting this ready, I found out there is a much better interview with R. here. So consider mine the appetizer before the main course.

12 comments:

laura k said...

Great post! Once agan, blogs rule while the MSM snoozes.

laura k said...

Also, best wishes to R. Dunning as he leaves for Army training. Even though I don't know him, I'll worry for his safety.

allan said...

ESPn has a top 10 video of MBM.

But once again, the media gets the Into The Wall moment completely wrong.

Everyone says it was a routine mound visit, but having watched that game, the opposite was true. Everyone believed there was a pitching change. NESN went to commercials and in this clip you can see the scoreboard operator take down the Red Sox pitcher's number and get ready to put up the new pitcher's number.

Also, it's a shame that they did not include any MBM moments like his first game in Fenway as a Sock. First inning in the home opener in 2001, he steps in, and drills the first pitch he sees over the Wall for a 3-run home run! Crowd. Went. Nuts!

Or show him robbing Cairo of a home run in NY. Cairo trotted around the bases, high-fived his third base coach and was halfway to dugout when he stopped -- totally confused -- and turned around. And there was a smiling Manny out in LF, doing the double-point!!!

That is also MBM!

allan said...

Though the one of him ragging on Tiz for not scoring on his double is pretty hilarious.

Amy said...

Great interview, Allan. I find it amazing that this guy posted on your blog. What a small world it is.

I loved the Manny highlights clip linked on the masslive.com page (our local newspaper's web page, by the way). It made me laugh all over again. Scary thing is that I think I saw most of those live! Perhaps I am spending too much time watching Manny Being Manny.

Like Laura, I wish Randy the best and a safe return to civilian life.

eileen said...

I read both intverviews and liked yours better. Cheers!

laura k said...

Or show him robbing Cairo of a home run in NY. Cairo trotted around the bases, high-fived his third base coach and was halfway to dugout when he stopped -- totally confused -- and turned around. And there was a smiling Manny out in LF, doing the double-point!!!

This was brilliant! I remember Cairo first twirling his finger, asking "home run?"... then making the "out" sign with his fist, his eyes popping...!

allan said...

Testing new avatar!

I do not recall some of those fielding clips, like him calling off Edgar and then booting the ball.

Should have had more goofy ones, like him nodding his head in time to the giant Pedro bobblehead in the dugout or making fun of Schilling while Curt was writing in his notebook. That was priceless!

Let's not forget his "If we lose, it's not the end of the world" comment that I truly believe helped the team settle down, focus and beat Cleveland in last year's ALCS.

Does he frustrate me sometimes? Yes. But all players have at some point. Looking at Manny's entire package, his positives far outweigh his negatives.

9casey said...

redsock said...
Does he frustrate me sometimes? Yes. But all players have at some point. Looking at Manny's entire package, his positives far outweigh his negatives.


Just like significant others, Children, and friends.

laura k said...

Just like significant others, Children, and friends.

Ha! Good point.

When we like a player (or anyone, for that matter) we tend to emphasize their positive qualities and write off the negatives. And when we dislike someone, their faults loom large and we overlook their good qualities, sometimes we can barely admit the good qualities exist.

allan said...

Great Gammons story in that ESPN video:

Manny has "MBM" sown inside his tailor-made suits.

s1c said...

My dad would say (class of '65), "Only an OSU grad would have been aware enough to be ready to High Five" MBM.

My dad would have been proud.