October 15, 2008

Red Sox Upbeat At Workout

Terry Francona, after the Red Sox's optional workout this afternoon:
I think they wish we were playing in about 10 minutes. It's good. It's very good. It's enthusiastic. ... Pedroia came in this morning ready to fight the war, and it's spreading clubhouse-wide.
Since 1985, four of the 15 teams that have trailed 3-1 in the ALCS have come back to win the pennant. The Red Sox account for three of those four teams: 1986, 2004, 2007.

Jason Varitek:
We've got nothing but baseball ahead of us. Belief. It wasn't just '04, '07. We've been able to do it. It leaves an overriding belief. I believe.
Varitek is one of five players remaining from the 2004 team (Ortiz, Tim Wakefield, Mike Timlin, and Kevin Youkilis are the others.)

Wakefield:
We've been in this situation before. We've been down 3-0 and come back and won, so it's going to take a group effort Thursday.
Timlin:
You can rely on history. History repeats itself. That's what I've heard. Go with that.
However, David Ortiz, the anchor of the lineup, is batting only .161 (5-for-31) in October and is 1-for-14 against the Rays. He has gone 27 AB without an RBI and his last home run came way back on September 22. MLB.com:
And here is possibly the most telling trend: In 31 at-bats, Ortiz has struck out only eight times, meaning he is making consistent contact. But he has hit fly balls out of the infield only seven times, meaning he is simply not driving the ball. To a lot of people, that suggests -- disclaimers to the contrary -- that his left wrist is not strong. Others wonder if Ortiz is seeing the ball well.

12 comments:

Jake of All Trades said...

We're also 14-3 in elimination games dating back to 1999.

tim said...

Bruins being Red Sox.

Patrick said...

I'm not enjoying the commentators on either the Phillies or Dodger radio stations. I am enjoying the game however.

Rooting for Manny, Lowe, Torre, and the Dodgers.

SoSock said...

Without Manny or Papi it will be a tougher task. But there are certainly reasons to be optimistic.
1-Pedroia appears to be on the verge of breaking bad on the world again, and he was not such a huge offensive factor in the previous comebacks
2-History
3-Papi could break out of his rut, just as Pedroia has seemed to.
4-History
5-Bay may not be Manny but he is putting up good numbers and driving in runs
6-History
7-Even if Papi doesn't show up, Youk is certainly capable of filling that void
8-Then there's the history

Eh, who knows. Put 'em out there and play the game. The odds may be stacked against us, but if the odds determined the outcome we wouldn't need to play the game, would we?

andy said...

I hope for some real lineup changes over the off season. I am concerned about Lowell and Papi. I love the big guy as much as the next fan but we cannot just hold onto him for sentimental sake. Lowell has that labia issue and with surgery he may be satisfactory but with his age he may not ever be playoff Lowell again. I hope for Lugo to be gone gone gone. I would like to see youk at 3rd and we pick up a power hitter for 1st. I am very pleased with Kotsay so I hope he sticks around as a backup. I also want to keep jacoby, bay and drew. If we can get something better then move crisp but otherwise keep him. I think Tek and Crisp should stop switch hitting and focus on one side of the plate. I know I get it but they aren't doing well from either side so stick with one and nail it. The pitching looks good but I think Wake is done. Our pen is good so long as we retire Timlin and pick up some 5 years in the league guy. Keep byrd as a 4th starter. Hopefully HH will be good to go next year. I know they were fixing his pitches. He has the stuff. I know it's early for this kind of comment but I wanted make myself feel better if things go horrible. We do have a future with many bright young stars and we have the money to keep them in town.

9casey said...

andy said...
I hope for some real lineup changes over the off season.


Are we where we are because of are lineup?



andy said...
I hope for some real lineup changes over the off season. I am concerned about Lowell and Papi. I love the big guy as much as the next fan but we cannot just hold onto him for sentimental sake.



Hold on to Papi for sentimental sake? are you out of your fucking mind and also he's signed til 2010 with a club option in 2011




I am very pleased with Kotsay so I hope he sticks around as a backup.


You are very pleased with Kotsay but are concerned about Papi?


andy said:
I also want to keep jacoby, bay and drew.




Keep Drew good choice he's signed till 2011



andy said:
Our pen is good so long as we retire Timlin and pick up some 5 years in the league guy. Keep byrd as a 4th starter.



Keep Bryd as 4th starter , yeah he's been worthy of that, are you serious here or are you just venting....

chris said...

Blogger andy said...
Lowell has that labia issue

uhh..."labia" issue???

Rob said...

RSNV: Phillies.

Rob said...

Actually, for all intents and purposes, the FKR are still the RSNV. Funny, it feels like the ALCS has just begun.

Patrick said...

if the odds determined the outcome we wouldn't need to play the game, would we?

well put!! And as Han Solo said, "Never tell me the odds".

If we win tonight all bets are off.

sparky said...

Lowell's labia issues are bigger than we can ever know.

laura k said...

Blogger andy said...
Lowell has that labia issue

uhh..."labia" issue???


Hey, if you don't keep up with game threads, don't expect to know what's going on! :)