March 20, 2009

Pedroia Returns To Lineup Today

Dustin Pedroia will be back in the Red Sox lineup this afternoon and get two plate appearances against the Pirates.
I feel fine. I haven't felt it one time since I got back. I think the three days I had off calmed everything down, and everything's been fine.
Clay Buchholz will start and Jonathan Papelbon, Takashi Saito, Hideki Okajima and Javier Lopez are expected to follow.

Jon Lester (4-3-1-1-6, 67) was sharp against the Reds yesterday. He retired 10 of the last 11 hitters he faced, including six by strikeout. Jed Lowrie went 3-for-4, with a single, double and home run. he's hitting .462 (18-for-39) and 10 of his 18 hits have gone for extra bases.

George Kottaras caught Tim Wakefield for five shutout innings (and also had three hits). Wake expressed his confidence in his new personal catcher:
Georgie did a tremendous job today. I have the utmost confidence in him that he'll be able to last all season long with me. I like throwing to him as well as I like throwing to Josh. I look forward to working with him some more.
Kevin Youkilis, on the issues with his left foot -- a mild ankle sprain, mild Achilles tendinitis:
It's something that started, I think, ever since Day 1 of Spring Training. I've had tightness, and this foot is the same foot I've had plantar fasciitis in [during the 2006 season]. I've had tightness in it a lot.
Yook refused to blame the WBC:
I've been hearing that this is the WBC's fault, this is a stupid idea. It's not. It's a great thing. ... I'd recommend it for all the guys to totally do it.

21 comments:

allan said...

Bot shoulder rumor (barely) and denial

allan said...

Kilgore, Globe:
"Dustin Pedroia got a quick challenge in the field in his first game back. Morgan bounced the second pitch of the game to the right side. Pedroia bolted to his left, called off Paul McAnulty, and flipped to Buchholz covering. It was a pretty nice play, no problems whatsoever for Pedroia on the rare 4-1 putout. ...
Jacoby Ellsbury slashed a grounder down the first base line for a double, then stole third without a throw, getting an excellent jump on Karstens. Pedroia chopped out to short, good enough to score Ellsbury easily. He looked fine at the plate nad is still in the game at second, a positive sign that nothing's wrong with his abdominal. ..."

Jere said...

Vari-dong, three-run shot. HH with two scoreless innings.

Benjamin said...

"Who knows if it’s true, but it’s worth tracking."

Wow. Papelbon has to respond to an anonymously sourced conjecture that the reporter admits has no basis?

I've heard concern expressed that this National League scout is a goatfucker. Who knows if it's true, but it's worth tracking. And he may be the kind of scout who's not afraid to fuck goats.

Jere said...

4-1 us in the 5th

Jere said...

Drew off to get X-rayed. Got hit in the hand with a pitch earlier.

Jere said...

Teixeira becomes a true spring Yankee, hitting his first dong, off of Joe Nathan.

Jere said...

2-run dong for Ambres, 9-4 Sox.

Jere said...

11-4 us, bottom 8.

Jere said...

11-4 final. 11 hits apiece.

Zenslinger said...

6 RBI out of the Sox catcher's spot today...who knew?

Benjamin said...

PGH - 000 012 100 - 04 11 1
BOS - 130 011 32X - 11 11 2

HH : 5.0 4 1 0 1 3 0
Bot: 1.0 3 2 2 1 3 0

Can't say I'm not mildly concerned about Paps.

Benjamin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jere said...

Drew X-rays negative. (That's the good kind.)

Benjamin said...

X-rays negative on Drew: "While Drew is hurt, no bones were broken and he should not have to miss significant action."

allan said...

Drew was plunked by All-Food Team pitcher Donnie Veal.

andy said...

And sex has returned to baseball.

andy said...

I got MLB EI today. So now I can watch NESN with all of you without the hassle and let down of MLB.tv.

laura k said...

All-Food Team pitcher Donnie Veal

Very nice!

laura k said...

Veal, of course, is not nice if you're a calf. But it's a good addition to the Food Team.

Jere said...

I think a good insult would be "they wouldn't let you on the All Proper Noun Team."