April 13, 2009

All The Critics Hate You In Woodland


Dustin Pedroia claims he was only joking when he referred to his hometown as a "dump" in a cover story for Boston magazine:
Everyone wants to get out of there. You don't want to stay in Woodland. What do you want to stay in Woodland for? The place sucks.
His family has been harassed since the article appeared. One man has been arrested for making death threats.

FY:
I'm totally crushed by this, devastated, because I didn't mean it that way at all. The writer doesn't know my personality. I kid around a lot, and that's what I was doing when I was talking about Woodland. ...

My family and best friends still live there. I love going home. This article made me seem like a jerk, and I'm not. ... I regret that this happened. I learned that I need to be more careful.

9 comments:

allan said...

Zen: That's 2.

laura k said...

Oh man. Disparaging remarks about your hometown - or the city where you play - can never be lived down, no matter how many times you claim you were joking. Fuck no.

allan said...

Plus when after calling it a dump, you say something like "and you can quote me on that, i don't give a shit."

Plus, what could be wrong with a place called Woodland? Probably has lots of liquor stores, newsstands, places to sit ...

Unknown said...

Yeah, civic pride runs deep in a lot of people. Whenever people say things like "Boston is hard to drive in" or "There are too many Dunkin Donuts in this city" I get very upset.

allan said...

Town: "Love it or leave it!"

FY: "Okay."

FenFan said...

Yeah, civic pride runs deep in a lot of people. Whenever people say things like "Boston is hard to drive in" or "There are too many Dunkin Donuts in this city" I get very upset.

... yes, or "They talk funny."

allan said...

If anyone feels like ripping on Essex Junction, Vermont, I won't mind.

Pepe Lepew said...

Plus, what could be wrong with a place called Woodland? Probably has lots of liquor stores, newsstands, places to sit ...Actually, I've been through Woodland.
It really *is* a dump. Just about every city in the San Joaquin/ Sacramento Valley is, except maybe Davis.

Pepe Lepew said...

PS -- actually, Chico isn't a bad town, either.