April 15, 2009

Lowrie: Surgery Is "On The Table"

Jed Lowrie's left wrist will be examined at the Curtis National Hand Center in Baltimore today. Lowrie said x-rays and an MRI in Boston yesterday "showed pretty much the same thing as last year", when he had a nondisplaced fracture in his left hand.

Sean McAdam outlines the possible choices for Lowrie and the Red Sox:
Three options will be discussed: further injections and rehab, which would sideline the shortstop for a month; a minor surgical procedure in which a bone would be removed, requiring approximately six weeks of recovery time; and a more complicated surgery that likely would end Lowrie's 2009 season.
Lowrie says he began experiencing soreness in the wrist during a game against the Yankees on March 24:
I thought it was just a bump in the road. I didn't say anything because I felt it was going to get better. I figured it was just something to be worked through. ... I went through it last year, playing with it, because I wanted to play in the playoffs. ... But now I need to focus on the long-term picture, not the short term.