May 11, 2009

Offday Outtakes - Joni Mitchell

Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns (Demos)
01. Harry's House
02. Edith and the Kingpin
03. In France They Kiss on Main Street
04. Sweet Bird
05. Shades of Scarlett Conquering
06. Shadows and Light
07. Dreamland
08. Boho Dance
09. Hunter (The Good Samaritan)
These songs were recorded in the spring of 1975.

***

Fans of The Jam should check out what TUBE has uploaded in the past few weeks. ... And click here for a session featuring Burt "Boy Wonder" Ward and Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention from 1966.

6 comments:

laura k said...

Yay! Thank you!!

Amy said...

Joni! What a treat! My favorite album of hers is Court and Spark, from around the same time period (a year earlier or so). It was one Harvey and I played over and over in our first year together.

laura k said...

Court & Spark is many people's favourite, and definitely some of her best work ever. It's rare that the two coincide!

I still listen to Court & Spark and Hissing frequently. I love them both.

But here's the real Joni question. Did you continue following her through her jazz explorations, and into her more current music?

Amy said...

Not so much. I am stuck somewhere between 1964 and 1976 when it comes to music (except for classical music, of course). Just a dinosaur!

Lisa Cohen said...

I love all of Joni's work. Mingus is such a different album from this earlier work, but it shares a certain sensibility with anything she's done. Her phrasing and way with lyrics is quite remarkable.

laura k said...

Mingus is a fabulous album.

The only work of Joni's I wasn't crazy about was her singing with the orchestra behind her in the late 90s. But seeing her perform that way was as amazing as ever.

She is my idol - the artist I admire most.