May 7, 2009

Remy Releases Statement

Jerry Remy:
In November I had a very small, low-grade cancerous area removed from my lung. I was fortunate that it was discovered at an early stage. Except for the surgery, I required no additional treatments. I left the hospital with a clean bill of health.

Unfortunately, following the surgery, I developed a bad infection further compounded by a case of pneumonia. It was the pneumonia and the infection that set me back. This all happened just as I was leaving for spring training.

In hindsight, it was a mistake to go and I am paying the price for it now. As NESN announced, I am taking a leave of absence so that I can fully recover.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the outpouring of concern you have given me recently. I honestly appreciate it. Secondly, I want to emphasize that I am in good shape now.

While physically I have no issues, the past few months have been emotionally draining, and exhausting for both my family and I. Along those lines, I would like to thank NESN and the Red Sox for allowing me to take as much time as I need. I am not certain exactly when I will return, but I will keep you posted. I want to make sure that when I do return I can be with the team all the way to the 2009 World Series!

I hope that by stating all this publicly it will emphasize the dangers of smoking to everyone, especially children. So, once again, I appreciate all your support and I would like to emphasize – if you don't smoke, don't start, and if you do smoke, try to quit! I don't say that lightly because I know how difficult it can be.

Thanks,

Jerry
***

NESN Replacements: Dennis Eckersley will be in the booth for the rest of the homestand and Dave Roberts will be alongside Don Orsillo next week in Anaheim and Seattle.

Dustin Pedroia:
Rem Dawg is awesome. [(This was a joke!] He's great. ... He needs to get well and we're going to miss him in the time that he's gone. Absolutely our prayers are with him.
Mike Lowell:
He has that type of humor where he always keeps the fans entertained. My dad switched cable companies just to be able to get the home feed to listen to him.
How did he do that? I want to do that.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That report makes me feel much better. If they really caught it that early and he is fine, he will be among the very small number with lung cancer who are that lucky. I hope so.

laura k said...

The statement is great - perfect. I wish him all the best, and more.