June 24, 2009

Brown Makes Debut

Catcher Dusty Brown made his major league debut in the ninth inning of last night's win over Washington. He and Daniel Bard were the Boston battery for the final inning.
I got the first one out of the way. No harm done -- thank God. It was exciting. Lucky I've caught [Bard] plenty. It would have been different if I never caught him before and go out there in my first MLB outing and try to catch [a pitcher who throws] 98 [mph].
Bard:
For me, it's the only time I've been more of a veteran than [another guy on the field]. ... I made it a little tough on him, probably [loading the bases with one out], but he did a great job and didn't make me look too bad.
In the 17 games since being taken out of the leadoff spot, Jacoby Ellsbury has hit .356/.451/.542 with 10 walks and only six strikeouts. Although he hit second in five of those games, his usual spot has been 7th. ... Since May 2, he is hitting .333/.392/.450.

With a stolen base in the sixth inning, Ellsbury became only the fourth player in Red Sox history to steal at least 30 bases in two seasons (only Tris Speaker has done it more than twice):
Tris Speaker     1909-10, 1912-14
Harry Hooper 1910-11
Johnny Damon 2002-03
Jacoby Ellsbury 2008-09
Jason Varitek, since May 30: .176/.328/.294.

Dustin Pedroia, in 85 PA as leadoff hitter: .182/.250/.247.

Nick Green, since June 9: .349/.383/.628.

Daisuke Matsuzaka is staying in Boston while the team is on the road, working out, but not throwing. ... Jed Lowrie was hit on the knee by a pitch last night while playing for Pawtucket, but the injury is not considered serious.

4 comments:

Pokerwolf said...

I was at the game last night. Sox fans set a Nationals attendance record by cracking 41,000 fans for a game. Either there wasn't an annoucement about Brown playing or I somehow missed it because I thought Varitek was catching Bard. That explains a bunch.

One thing that Sox fans at home probably don't know about the game: Papi almost was a PH in the seventh inning. He was in the on deck circle when Green made the third out.

I'm kinda bummed that Penny didn't get the W, but that's what happens when you throw a WP to let the tying run score. MDC did better than I thought he'd do and Green is really playing his ass off. I didn't get too many pictures of the field because we were in the nosebleeds, but that's where most of the rowdy Sox fans were sitting, so that's all good.

All in all, it was a GREAT game. That Bay houme run was EPIC. The whole stadium exploded when it happened. Ditto for the Green DP and the Lowell DP. Good times!

bdubsmitty said...

So, if Ellsbury sucked at leadoff earlier, and Pedroia is sucking at leadoff right now - who's the next choice for some production at leadoff - Green, Drew?

I don't see a reason to move Ellsbury since he's doing so well at 7th, but it might be a good idea for Francona to move Pedroia back to 2nd and see if that helps him get out of his slump.

tim said...

I was looking at Pedroia's numbers yesterday before the game and I thought WOW, definitely not an MVP-caliber season. Only 2 HR and 21 RBI I believe, and that leadoff BA is brutal.

Fuck yeah is struggling...lets hope he has a dominant second half.

laura k said...

Thanks for the report, Pokerwolf! So glad you were there.

"That Bay houme run"

Nice touch!