July 27, 2009

Off To Boston


We drive to Boston this morning! We are attending two of the four games against Oakland. It's the first time games Laura and I have been at Fenway Park in more than four years.

Tuesday's night game is also JoSapalooza I. Nine commenters, along with various family members and/or friends (and one non-JoS mystery guest!), will gather for dinner beforehand and then have a live in-park gamethread!

Laura and I are taking the Fenway tour earlier in the day -- I think it's the third time for me -- and we're going on Wednesday night by ourselves.

As far as threads for all four games, see either ish's blog or ThreadSox. (I'll have posts go up with the various games, but probably very little else.)

I have a four-game winning streak (at least) at Fenway:
April 6, 2001 - 1918 is finally out and I'm in Boston for an early morning TV appearance. No ticket for the game, but I'm in a bar beyond left field when Manny crushes the first pitch he sees as a Sock in Fenway for a three-run dong. Bedlam! A security guard lets me into the park for the ninth inning to watch Rolando Arrojo nail down an 11-4 win over the Devil Rays.
September 22, 2003 - In Boston for a book-reading at a B&N. Jeff Suppan goes six innings and it's tater time for Manny, Flo and Trot as the Sox edge the Orioles 7-5. (The next night would have been the game to see!)
May 8, 2004 - SoSH BaSH game. And, appropriately enough, Gehrig38 is on the mound! Curt throws a complete game and Pokey Reese hits two home runs, one of them an inside-the-parker into the right field corner, where we are seated. The Royals are routed 9-1.
July 20, 2005 - Laura and I drive from New York for a day game in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the day we met. The Sox get six runs in the first inning -- Tampa Bay starter Mark Hendrickson faces only six batters and gets none of them out -- and cruise to a 9-4 victory.

11 comments:

Jen said...

Since you'll be visiting Boston, you might be interested in the Boston Cupcake Crawl that some friends and I did this weekend. Check out my blog for the results.

Have fun at Fenway!

johngoldfine said...

Just back to sort-of civilization in Reykjavik--first time seen a computer, tv, or any media for nine days. Jeezum, WTF happened while I was gone?--obviously the RedSox without my presence are desperately unhappy. I´ll be in Boston tonight, so no fears!

nick said...

Have a good drive! That thruway can be pretty exciting with the right company and music (well stocked in both accounts, I figure).

I work 5 minutes off exit 2 of the pike. wave as you go by.

BklynSoxFan said...

Wish I could have been there, Allan, but my hosting Tuesday Night Trivia keeps me away. Hope you and all the JoS posters have a great time!

Lisa Cohen said...

Can't wait till tomorrow night!!

FenFan said...

Have fun - go go Sox!!! I'll be there in spirit (or at least watching the broadcast).

I remember that 2004 Pokey Reese game well! Sitting in my usual seats, we all got jacked when he hit the inside-the-park job. Then I turned to my wife and said: "Bet that's the only home run he hits all season." Of course, his next at-bat (I believe) he hits over into the Monster seats. We still laugh about that!

Rick (f/k/a westcoastsox) said...

Bon voyage.

Amy said...

I have only one word to say:

YYYAAAAYYY!

A Conformer said...

I hope you guys have a great time! Wish I could come too...

Zenslinger said...

Good travels.

The Mystery Guest said...

Let's hear it for The Mystery Guest! Look forward to meeting you folks...