July 12, 2009

Pedroia Will Miss All-Star Game

Gary Dzen, Globe:
Dustin Pedroia, voted by fans as the starting second baseman for the American League will miss this year's All-Star Game in St. Louis to attend to his pregnant and hospitalized wife, Pedroia said in a statement released by the Red Sox.
(MLB.com)

Terry Francona:
I hope when it came down to it, I actually hope I influenced him. I'm not taking credit, but I hope I did. Yesterday, I said, "Pedey, look. What's the worst-case scenario if you don't go to the All-Star Game?" He said, "Well, I'm mad." I said, "What's the worst-case scenario if you go and Kelli is not ..." And he said, "I can't go."
Carlos Pena replaces FY on the AL team.

2 comments:

laura k said...

Bad timing for the FY family, but I know we're all glad Dustin made the right choice.

A few decades ago, that choice was unthinkable. It's a sign of progress that it's now accepted and applauded.

johngoldfine said...

Nice that Francona has that sort of easy rapport with a young player who might be expected to reject all 'influence.' Also, of course, nice that FY has something better in mind than the roar of the crowd.