September 26, 2009

Lester Hopes To Make Next Start

Terry Francona, on Jon Lester's injury:
He's going to be OK. When it first happened, I think it looked terrible, it sounded terrible, he was in a lot of pain. I think it caught enough meat or muscle where it wasn't just a direct blow on that bone. I actually think from talking to Dr. [Larry] Ronan, our trainers, he might be right on turn. The fact that we're even talking about that is good news.
Lester:
It hit me in a spot where it didn't do any damage that hopefully won't make me miss any time. ... When you get hit like that, with the pain and everything, you're hoping that it's not a serious injury. But, like I said, fortunately there's nothing broken. No bone spurs or nothing like that sticking out that they could see. Everything right now is fine. Everything, as far as I know, is in line for my next start.
That start would be on five days rest, on Tuesday, October 1 against Cleveland. Lester is then scheduled for six days of rest before the likely start of the Red Sox/Angels ALDS on Thursday, October 8.

Francona, on celebrating winning the wild card:
Because we were fortunate enough to win six years ago and then a couple years ago, why in the world would we not be happy if we're fortunate enough to go back to the playoffs.
Dustin Pedroia stole his 20th base of the year. He is only the second Boston second baseman with 20+ steals in multiple seasons, joining Amby McConnell (1908-09). ... Victor Martinez's 24-game hitting streak is the longest by a Sock since 2006 (Manny Ramirez, 27).

No comments: