July 27, 2010

G101: Red Sox 4, Angels 2

Red Sox - 000 000 211 - 4  9  1
Angels - 001 000 010 - 2 7 1
Lackey: 7.1-7-2-1-4, 124.

Trailing 1-0 with two outs in the seventh, Darnell McDonald walked, Marco Scutaro (3-for-5) singled and Jed Lowrie doubled over the head of left fielder Juan Rivera to give Boston a 2-1 lead. Adrian Beltre's double in the eighth scored David Ortiz from first ("I'm a speed killer, whenever I feel like it").

The Yankees lost to Cleveland 4-1 and the Rays beat the Tigers 3-2. The Red Sox are 7 GB New York, and 5 GB Tampa Bay in the WC. The Rays are 2 GB the Yankees in the East.
Example
John Lackey/Jered Weaver

And Spiders/Yankees and Tigers/Rays.
Example
July 27:

1904 - Manager John McGraw says the Giants "will not play a post season series with the American League champions. ... When we clinch the National League pennant, we'll be champions of the only real major league." Boston wins the AL pennant. There is no World Series.

1927 - 18-year-old Mel Ott hits his first major-league home run, an inside-the-parker. It is the only ITPHR of his 511 career homers.

1930 - Cincinnati reliever Ken Ash throws only one pitch, but gets credit for a win over the Cubs, as Charlie Grimm hits into a triple play.

1948: St. Louis native Hank Arft triples and homers in his debut with the Browns. Tomorrow's chants of "Arft, Arft" will result in his nickname of "Bow Wow."

1988 - Tommy John of the Yankees commits three errors on one play.

3 comments:

allan said...

check wmtc for our most recent border adventure.

SoSock said...

The perils of fame and fortu.....well, of fame:)
I hate that for you guys. I know it's got to be very frustrating. At least it was a bit shorter this time, if I'm recalling the first time correctly. Still, 75 minutes could be the difference between catching a flight or not. I hope this resolves itself, although I'm not very hopeful it will.
And I would love to say "only a Yankee could commit 3 errors on 1 play", but I know I would e proven wrong in a skinny minute

SoSock said...

Game thread at Ish's place again, I assume. With Zen overseeing?