December 13, 2010

Schadenfreude 105 (A Continuing Series)

"I don't like this perception that we're confused or disoriented or we don't know what we're doing." Brian Cashman

Mike Lupica, Daily News:
In the end, this was like another game Cliff Lee was pitching against the Yankees, which means the Yankees kept swinging and missing with the guy. It happened last July, when the Yankees tried to make a trade for him. It happened in October, the one time they faced him in the American League Championship Series, in Game 3 at the new Yankee Stadium.

Now it happens in the crazy, free-agent winter of 2010, when Lee turns down what the Yankees offered him ... and takes less money and fewer years to go back to the Phillies.
Ian O'Connor, ESPNNewYork:
They were so sure of opening the 2011 season with CC Sabathia in Game 1 and CC's dear friend, Cliff Lee, in Game 2, they figured the one hurdle to clear in contract talks would be whether to guarantee Lee a monument or a plaque. ...

Girardi's rotation looks like it was hit by a nor'easter. The Yanks were hoping A.J. Burnett would be required to throw only celebratory pies next season; now he'll actually be needed to throw fastballs and curves. Andy Pettitte? Now Cashman will offer to build him his very own retirement community if he agrees to give it one more go. ...

[T]his one hurts. It hurts to the bone.
Joel Sherman, Post:
[T]he double-barrel rejection feels overwhelming. ...

The Yankees will say now they are relieved because, by leaving so many dollars on the table, Lee was signaling he really did not want New York. They will say they were uncomfortable going to age 39 with a pitcher who had back problems last year or that they have some of the best pitching prospects in the majors coming or they now have great financial flexibility to pounce on what they want during the year.

But that is all spin that could be heard a lot in the future of what has become The Not Cliff Lee Era for the Yankees.
(And sure enough, a reader's comment: "No biggie...Lee had a what, 7.00 era, in the WS last year, he's declining already at 33 years old next season...We'll be fine and we don't have to listen to the whiners say we bought it..." And more than one fan says NYY should simply trade for Felix Hernandez -- who signed a contract extension less than 12 months ago that runs through 2014. Morons.)

Gordon Edes, ESPNBoston:
In the post-midnight hours, after news broke that Lee was going to the Phillies, Red Sox officials did not respond to e-mailed requests for reaction. Sleeping? Perhaps.

Or perhaps they decided that gloating in public is unbecoming.
Example
New York Post:
It is believed Lee will take a five-year deal for $100 million from the Phillies, far below the Yankees' best offer, believed to be seven years in the $160 million range. The Rangers, Lee's final team this season, countered with a six-year pact with a vesting option for a seventh season.
Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden, Daily News:
So now what? ...

Shortly before midnight, the Yanks received a call from Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, informing them that Lee was headed to another team. ...

With the Yankees and Rangers seemingly going head-to-head to acquire the lefty, Lee approached the Phillies, telling them how much he enjoyed playing for them and asking them if there were any way for him to return ...
Danny Knobler, CBS Sports:
Players almost never turn down the Yankees when the Yankees are desperate to sign them ... Cliff Lee told the Yankees no. ...

The Yankees now need Andy Pettitte more than ever, which means they need to convince him not to retire. ...
Brian Cashman, Monday afternoon:
I really don't think we've got a lot of holes. ... I really believe that A.J. Burnett is going to bounce back for us next year.
Example
SoSHer 86spike: "Philly Contract: it's like a Baby NY Contract!"

SoSHer ThatsMyPeskyPole: "And Mrs Lee spits back."

(NYDN, October 27, 2010)
Example
Greatest Offseason Ever!

52 comments:

Philip said...

I. . .

There are no words for my joy right now.

FenFan said...

I love the smell of Schadenfreude in the morning. Smells like... victory!

Kathryn said...

YES, YES, YES! That's great news to wake up to on a cold Tuesday morning.

Amy said...

This is for real? Wow. When did a player last take a contract for less money and fewer years? This feels like some bizarro universe.

laura k said...

Yay!

Comic Book Guy says it best.

Benjamin said...

Philly over New York. Bros before Schmoes.

SoSock said...

Happy happy - Joy joy!

Lollardfish said...

In the words of the great New York sage, re: the alleged spitting on Mrs. Lee, "That's one magic loogie!"

allan said...

Heyman and Rosenthal tweeting that Phillies have a deal to send Joe Blanton to Boston. Edes and Bradford says no.

allan said...

NYY official: "Anybody who would leave $50M on the table obviously doesn’t want to pitch in New York. Thank God we found out in time."

!!!

***

SoSHer mabrowndog:

Top 5 Yankee fan mantras I've seen & heard in the past 3 hours:

5. "Meh. It was too much money to begin with. He ain't worth it."

4. "Meh. It's better for us in the long run that he didn't sign."

3. "Meh. Now we can just go trade for Greinke."

2. "Meh. The guy's clearly whipped by his bitchy wife. Good riddance."

1. "Shit. We're fucking screwed now."

***

Rob said...

Yankees reached an agreement with Russell Martin, which bums me out a little, but that's okay. He's their prized free agent acquisition this offseason.

A guy with a broken hip. How like the Yankees.

Zenslinger said...

I will take the schadenfreude re what Yankee fans are feeling now. But I agree with mabrowndog's #4 & 5 mantras.

Of course, fans don't get to claim them unless they were espousing them before he signed with the Phillies. A quick troll through Replacement Level revealed several commenters who already did not like the deal.

I'm confused whether Lee is getting 5/100 or 5/120.

Rob said...

Sean McAdam on Russell Martin:

"MLB source: C Russell Martin headed to Yanks; Red Sox, w/ major concerns about hip, never offered more than minor league deal w/ incentives.

Rob said...

The Gresh & Zolak show on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston had Jon Heyman just now and he said he still stands by his tweet that Boston and Philly have a Joe Blanton deal in place.

allan said...

JoS FAQ #7:

I am banned from commenting, but I have a legitimate question. What should I do?

You have two options: (1) Send me an email. (2) Fuck off.

Rob said...

I vote option 2.

allan said...

Zen: True about 4 & 5 and RL. Plenty of MFY fans at SoSH were down on the 7-year deal too. But I figure they would worry about 2016 (or whatever) when 2016 rolls around. For 11-12-13, though, it would be a boon.

laura k said...

I vote option 2.

I second Ish's vote and also vote for Allan removing option 1.

Kathryn said...

But option #1 could lead to more of Allan's owning this dude.

allan said...

The next troll who has the courage to send an email will be the first.

allan said...

Hey, hey, hey! Cafardo says the Sox are looking at Matt Albers.

SoSock said...

Well, reports are that Blanton is definitely leaving Philly, so who knows? I wouldn't mind seeing him on board myself

tim said...

:( No philly-mfy games in 2011. 2012 hopefully!

tim said...

And NO Blanton please. Shaky as hell. It'd be like Papelbon, only at the beginning of the game.

allan said...

Red Sox sign Albers.

Patrick said...

Greatest. Offseason. Ever.

But it could get better still:

How about seeing Matt Garza leave the AL East?

tim said...

How about a Dice-K for Garza trade, straight up?

Rob said...

I do like the idea, depending on who the Red Sox trade for Blanton, of flipping Blanton for some bullpen help or something.

allan said...

MFY sign Mark Prior.
8-9 years too late.

Rob said...

Who else laughed their ass off about that?

allan said...

SoSHer The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa:

"The Yankees tried to sign Nick Adenhart but he wouldn't return Cashman's calls."

***

Jimmy said...

The New York Times quoted this blog, and Philip's (top) comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/nyregion/15snub.html?_r=1&hp

You're in the zeitgeist!

Amy said...

Wow, how cool! Of all the blogs, they picked this one to quote!

allan said...

"But in much of the country, Lee’s decision made a frigid day suddenly warmer. On a Red Sox blog called the Joy of Sox, the first comment Tuesday was, "There are no words for my joy right now.""


Is this in the paper copy?

allan said...

"A version of this article appeared in print on December 15, 2010, on page A1 of the New York edition."

Apparently so.

Amy said...

Do you want a copy of the paper? I have it at home and can send it to you if you want. I haven't yet looked at the hard copy, only the online version, of the story.

laura k said...

Amy, I've just been texting with my sister and sister-in-law to see if either of them has a copy. So yes, if you don't mind, save the hard copy for us, that would be great. Thank you for thinking of it!

Amy said...

Will do. I will have to look and see if I have your home address somewhere. Glad to be of assistance!

Zenslinger said...

Guerrier to Dodgers.

allan said...

He is a general reporter, not a sportswriter. He could have found similar sentiments at any number of places, so I'm curious why he chose JoS (it does come up near the top of a google search). Plus he actually clicked on comments and read at least a few.

tim said...

Wow, that's sweet!

JoS mentioned and Philip quoted in NYT. How cool.

Also makes me reconsider some of the stuff that I type...who knows who might be reading!

Amy said...

Hmm, good point, Tim. Especially for those of use who use our real first names...

Maybe I will adopt a new Blogger ID for next season so I can swear and say nasty things without fear of being quoted in the NYTimes!

laura k said...

Also makes me reconsider some of the stuff that I type...who knows who might be reading!

That's something everyone should always consider. Those of us who write and have a precense online are well familiar with need. You have to be able to stand behind everything you write.

Although prospective employers and whatnot do make distinctions among different modes - blogs vs comments vs Facebook (if yours is not locked down), etc. Or they should anyway.

Hmm, good point, Tim. Especially for those of use who use our real first names...

I thought that was why you are only a first name online. A first name can still be anybody.

Amy said...

Well, although Amy is hardly an uncommon name, people who know I am a Red Sox fan and who know I teach law would not have to be professional investigators to put two and two together. All my students and colleagues know I am a Sox fan. If one happened to come upon JOS, I bet they would quickly figure out who "Amy" was.

I rarely say anything on line (or elsewhere) that I would be embarrassed by, but I do use more foul language here than I would ever use at school or in any professional setting. So yeah, I probably should do more to protect my identity. Obviously most people here do use something other than their real names, so I think starting with the 2011 series I will take on a new identity. Stay tuned!

Amy said...

I meant 2011 SEASON. Guess my subconscious is already preparing for the 2011 SERIES. :)

laura k said...

If it's only cursing, you have nothing to worry about, IMO. And anyway, it all stays online, so it's too late. If any of your students are reading, they all know what a foul mouth you have. ;)

laura k said...

I rarely say anything on line (or elsewhere) that I would be embarrassed by

I wish I could say that. Not online... but frequently in person.

Amy said...

True, true. But I don't know how many people bother to go back to old game threads to read comments, and that's where I generally let loose!

I sometimes comment on a blog written by an innkeeper on the Cape and was somewhat embarrassed when one of Harvey's colleagues asked if I was the Amy who commented on that blog. Not that I said anything embarrassing---but I guess it made me realize that there is no such thing as anonymity on the internet. It destroyed the illusion I had in my head that there are little communities where only those who participate are privy to our thoughts and comments.

Anyway, I don't want to sound paranoid, as I am not seriously concerned, but I guess I do think taking some steps to hide my real identity is not a bad idea.

Amy said...

I am sure that I should be embarrassed by some of the things I say (both online and in person), and when I was younger, I often was. But at this point I generally feel like people either have to take me as I am or just not take me at all. I don't mean that I say things to hurt or embarrass others, but I am sure I say things that sound stupid or silly or wrong to others. Who cares?

laura k said...

Yes, I agree all around. It's wisest to assume that anyone and everyone could be reading.

allan said...

I may start using my first name for this season, with a corresponding new avatar. (I think a few of us discussed this last season.) Maybe a January 1 change?

allan said...

Hmmm, no increase in page views today. Stupid Times.