March 14, 2011

Gonzalez Never Wants A Day Off

Adrian Gonzalez, who singled on the first pitch he saw in his spring debut on Saturday and is batting 5th tonight against the Yankees, is adamant about playing all 162 games this season.
How much energy do you really put out there? I don't steal bases. I don't run fast. I play first base.
Evil Bert played 162 games in 2008 and 160 games in each of 2009 and 1010.

Jacoby Ellsbury went 3-for-3 on Sunday (with a home run) and is 8-for-13 in his last four games. He is hitting .444 in 25 spring at-bats.
I knew a while ago, coming into Spring Training, that I was ready to go. It's no surprise to me.
Terry Francona:
If [Ellsbury] gets on base at a higher percentage, that's way more important than hitting home runs. If he can be a guy who gets on base at .380, .400, that's more important.
Ellsbury has a .344 career OBP.

Boston is playing the Yankees tonight. Former Yankee Alfredo Aceves has shut out New York on 21 pitches through two innings. PeteAbe: "Why can't the Yankees get pitchers like this?"

6 comments:

Dr. Jeff said...

What is the date of Ortiz's last walkoff hit and HR? Did he have any last year?

allan said...

MFY - 001 000 000 - 1 8 2
BOS - 000 011 00x - 2 6 0

AG: 1 for 3
Bot: 3 up, 3 down in 5th
Jenks and Jeemer: 1 scoreless inning each

allan said...

What is the date of Ortiz's last walkoff hit and HR? Did he have any last year?

I have not been keeping my list of Tiz's walkoff situations active. Maybe I should update it. (It was easier to do when he came through every fuckin time!)

Benjamin said...

Papi had a walk-off double on July 31. Not sure if he had one since.

Dr. Jeff said...

Actually, it's easier to do when the events are rare, but it's more fun when it happens more frequently...

allan said...

But if I don't think about it for a whole year, then I have to go back through my scorecards and note when his opportunities were. His chances for a walkoff (and thus the number of actual walkoffs) have seriously dropped from 2004-05.