November 7, 2011

Manager Watch: Maddux Cancels Interview With Red Sox

Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux told the Red Sox today that he was withdrawing his name from consideration for the manager's job.

Maddux, who pitched for Boston in 1995 and 1996, was scheduled to be interviewed tomorrow.
I could give more reasons why an opportunity like this should be taken rather than not, but the reason for withdrawing my name from consideration comes down to a family decision. My wife and two daughters are together in the same state for the first time in three years, and words cannot describe my happiness. The game of baseball has many sacrifices, but being apart from family is the toughest. I feel there is too much distance between the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and Boston to see my family as much as I'd enjoy.
Sandy Alomar Jr. will be interviewed on Wednesday. Pete Mackanin and Dale Sveum were interviewed last week, and GM Ben Cherington says he would like to have filled the position by Thanksgiving - two weeks from this Thursday.
Example
Former Boston general manager Dan Duquette - out of MLB since 2002 - has agreed to be the Orioles' Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations. A formal announcement will be made tomorrow at 11 AM.

Brittany Ghiroli, MLB.com:
Duquette was farm director for the Expos from 1987-91 and their general manager from 1991-94, when he was hired to be GM by the Red Sox [1994-2002]. He traded for pitcher Pedro Martinez twice, first when he was with Montreal and again when he was with Boston, and also acquired Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek for the Red Sox in a trade with the Mariners. As Boston's GM, Duquette also signed Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon, and despite being dismissed under the Red Sox new ownership in 2002, helped lay the groundwork for the club that won the World Series in 2004.

2 comments:

laura k said...

My wife and two daughters are together in the same state for the first time in three years, and words cannot describe my happiness.

What a nice thing for any man to say.

I hope Dale Sveum wants to be close to his family, too. (And they live in... Seattle, maybe.)

allan said...

I hope the Red Sox hire Sveum as their manager because I hear his fall-back plan is to become a crossing guard.