February 7, 2012

What Do The Yankees Smell Like?

Wanna smell like the Yankees?

On February 21, you will have your chance. That's the day the team will introduce two "official fragrances" called, creatively enough: "New York Yankees" and "New York Yankees for Her".

(Note the overt sexism where what should be called "New York Yankees For Him" is simply "New York Yankees".)

Mike Silva, New York Baseball Digest: "Yes, every team has non-baseball related products. You have checkers, chess, teddy bears, etc. with the team logo. None of the 29 other teams believe they are bigger than the game where they create a fragrance and have a bourgeois party to announce it. ... What's next? Randy Levine on the catwalk modeling underwear?"

This reminds me one of the greatest quotes in Red Sox history. It's April 2005 and the Red Sox are opening the season at Yankee Stadium II. Doug Mirabelli walks into the visitors clubhouse and remarks: "It still smells like champagne in here."

15 comments:

laura k said...

(Note the overt sexism where what should be called "New York Yankees For Him" is simply "New York Yankees".)

Thank you.

allan said...

Speaking of sexism...

FenFan said...

My wife bought me David Beckham cologne a few years ago. I can report that I do not smell like a sweaty international soccer star.

Pokerwolf said...

I can report that I do not smell like a sweaty international soccer star.

But, how does it make you look in underwear, FenFan?

Jere said...

Man, I can't imagine what the classy Derek Jeter thinks about this happening with his own team...

Oh wait!

FenFan said...

>>I can report that I do not smell like a sweaty international soccer star.

But, how does it make you look in underwear, FenFan?


Quads to die for... :-)

laura k said...

Tell me, why does this bother anyone? Why is this any different than any other merchandising, all of which the Red Sox do every bit as much as the Yankees?

It's different to name a scent after a sports team, but is it somehow shameful? Inappropriate? Not manly enough? Or it's just NYY so your knees just automatically jerk?

laura k said...

It's different to name

* unusual

allan said...

I'd roll my eyes at it from any team.

allan said...

Jay Sherman's report.

FenFan said...

Jay Sherman's report.

Nice!

tim said...

The title of this post reminds me of Pulp Fiction.

"What does Marcellus Wallace look like?"

And in case you forgot, a handy reference guide.

tim said...

Oh, and the original reason I was going to leave a comment.

3 SLEEPS TILL TRUCK DAY!

Zenslinger said...

It ain't MANLY!

laura k said...

It ain't MANLY!

Yeah, that's what I thought. Men are supposed to smell like sweat.