June 4, 2014

G59: Cleveland 7, Red Sox 4 (12)

Red Sox   - 000 002 200 000 - 4  7  0
Cleveland - 100 003 000 003 - 7 11  0
Asdrubal Cabrera hit a three-run home run off Edward Mujica with one out in the 12th as Cleveland completed a three-game sweep of the Red Sox.

Example
Brandon Workman / Corey Kluber
Holt, 1B
Bogaerts, 3B
Pedroia, 2B
Ortiz, DH
Pierzynski, C
Sizemore, RF
Drew, SS
Nava, LF
Bradley, CF
Boston's outfielders are not hitting. At all.
                   PA    AVG   OBP   SLG
Jackie Bradley    195   .202  .287  .301
Grady Sizemore    177   .225  .294  .344
Jonny Gomes       159   .231  .333  .381
Shane Victorino    99   .242  .276  .352
Daniel Nava        86   .130  .221  .234
Alex Hassan         8   .143  .250  .143
They have a combined batting average of .214, the lowest average among MLB outfields this season and the worst for the Red Sox in the 60+ years for which Baseball Reference has data (back to 1951). (And why Gomes ever plays against RHP (.171/.241/.300) is a mystery.)

Kluber had a 2.09 ERA in six starts in May, striking out 60, the highest monthly total for a Cleveland pitcher since Dennis Eckersley in September/October 1976.

Felix Doubront will make a rehab start with Portland (AA) on Thursday.

More Ortiz words on Workman's suspension:
[Price] started everything up and we've got to pay for it, basically. That's the message that I'm getting, right? I don't have any answer about that, but it's like I say, way too much evidence now that he hit me on purpose, and the funny thing is that we are the ones that are getting fines, suspensions, all kind of stuff. I guess the rules are not for everyone. ...

He says I think I'm bigger than the game? Who around the league can say that about myself? It's basically what happens every time the pitcher screws up. They're always looking for excuses. You're never going to see a pitcher coming out and saying, "Yeah I hit him on purpose." "Oh, I was trying to establish my fastball in." Bro, you've given eight walks in 80 innings. You know what you're doing out there. In my case, when he hit me I was a little confused because everything, the way it went down the year before and stuff. Basically, first inning, but as the game goes by I start thinking about things and seeing things different, and that's why I was so angry after the game. ... I don't think what they're doing is fair. I think the rules should be for everybody. ...

In my case, I made my point clear. I'm not going to get hit again, not by him. I'm not going to get hit again my him. He did it on purpose, he punked me and that's very disrespectful. I'm a grown-ass man, I've been around the league for a long time and I know how to take care of business on my own.

5 comments:

allan said...

Well, all right then.

hrstrat57 said...

I am thinking Price will be the obvious and perfect NYY.....

Looking forward to it!

allan said...

Maybe he thinks so, too, and that's why he's busy perfecting his douchey personality. ... Wherever he goes, we'll see him again some day. That's pretty much a given.

hrstrat57 said...

Yep will be epic!

We haven't paid him back yet for shutting us down in "08

BklynSoxFan said...

I believe David Ortiz paid Price back for 2008 in last year's ALDS. Twice.